• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Minor but annoying problem using Alt-Tab in Windows

LEGEND ,
May 14, 2023 May 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Lightroom Classic 12.3 (and all previous versions of LrC while running Windows 11, as far as I can remember)
  • Windows 11 (can't remember if it did this in Windows 10)

Let's suppose I have only two applications open, Microsoft Word and my web browser. In windows, when I press Alt-Tab, I switch from one application to the other. If have three applications open, such as Word, Web Browser and E-mail program, Alt-Tab lets me move to the 2nd app and Alt-Tab twice lets me move to the 3rd app. All as expected.

But if one of those applications open is Lightroom Classic, then Alt-Tab once keeps me in Lightroom Classic. Not expected. I have to Alt-Tab twice to move to the next application that is open. Not expected, and annoying.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Is there a way to fix this so Alt-Tab when I am in Lightroom Classic works as with any other application? Is this a bug?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I observe the same thing. See the attached screen recording.

@Rikk Flohr: Photography, please consider moving into Bugs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, the problem doesn't occur on Mac with the equivalent Cmd Tab.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 15, 2023 May 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not able to replicate this scenario on Windows 10 or Windows 11. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 31, 2023 May 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not replicated on my Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 15, 2023 May 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My experience is this- If I hold down the [ALT] key, I can [TAB] through all of the open app windows releasing keys when desired screen is highlighted. Which does not seem an annoyance to me.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 16, 2023 May 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Holding down the Alt key does not make the problem go away on my machine.

I will stick with my opinion that this is annoying. I have used Alt-Tab in Windows for decades, its a habit that I use many times every day in every software, LrC is the only one that displays this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 23, 2023 May 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have this similar problem with Adobe Lightroom Classic when I use Alt+Tab.

Youtube: Adobe Lightroom Classic Alt+Tab glitch on Windows 11 

Here is another problem with Lightroom Classic on Windows 11. Empty/Blank background process, but not shown on Task manager.

2023-05-28.png2023-05-29.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 23, 2023 May 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reviewing: I now see the same problem- randomly!  My three scenarios are- when I press [ALT+TAB] once with LrC 'on top'- I can see any of these:

1) The highlighted App (yellow box) moves to the next app on the App thumbnail strip. (as expected)

2) Lightroom-Classic remains highlighted. (As @dj_paige reports)

3) No App is highlighted, until I press [TAB] a second time. (very rarely!)

I cannot suggest a "fix".

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is Adobe team + dev, to fix this problem? <---(Windows 11 Lightroom Classic Alt+Tab glitchy bug)

So, i have to restart laptop everytime!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Based on what information are you declaring this to be a serious/critical vulnerability problem????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 18, 2023 Jun 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue and this ir very annoying...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2023 Jul 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I observe this issue, and as far as I can recall it's been around for a while. Win11, Lightroom Class Build 202306052221-b70c0975 (thanks Adobe, I can't copy that text from the About box either, good job!)

I run into this issue pretty much every single time I use LRC, because I frequently switch between Lightroom, explorer.exe, and Chrome web browser. I would specifically characterise it as happening when you quickly Alt-Tab to switch back to your previous application, because you don't need to wait for the on-screen previews to appear.

Yes this is maybe a bit of a power user issue, but LRC is the only app I have this problem with! Holding down Alt after hitting Alt-Tab is a workaround, but it's a terrible one because it's inconsistent. It now means you need to hold down Alt and wait every single time you want to switch away from LRC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 09, 2023 Jul 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another option is to maintain these apps or these classes of task, in separate Windows (virtual) desktops. This might or might not work more smoothly for you - depending on memory / resources. Once in place, Win key + Ctrl + left or right arrow key instantly swaps whole screen setups without AFAICT affecting the app window management of the software running in each one. For example, you can have LrClassic set up how you want in one, and your file explorer and browser windows set up how you want in the other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 09, 2023 Jul 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Richard, thank you for the suggestion. It could be a useful workaround, although the better solution to me would be for an actual fix to this problem, so that LrC works the same as every other Windows program in this matter. I have never really found any usefulness to the separate desktops that you can set up in Windows, and in particular, if I am working in LrC and checking my web browser at the same time (for example to find out background information of the item in the photograph so I can add it to the caption), it seems like an abomination to me to have the information I want and the place I want to copy and paste the information into in different desktops, and I have to learn different keystrokes rather than the one that has worked for probably two decades in every program in Windows. So I still prefer to have the problem fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2023 Jul 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly same, very annoying issue on brand new laptop with W11Pro. Replicated with and without external keyboard. No issue on a bit older W10Pro PC. Both running latest LR Classic version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2023 Oct 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue, for a long time. Can't remember for how long. This is on Windows 11, LR Classic 12.5. All updates applied.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 18, 2023 Nov 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 12, 2023 Oct 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not fixed in LrC 13 (Windows 11).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 19, 2023 Nov 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me, this has been an annoyance for years across many versions.

As of today, with Lr 13.0.1 on W11 Home 22H2, it seems to be working normally (I cannot reproduce this issue any longer).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2023 Nov 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately for me on W11Pro, Lr 13.0.1 the issue persists.

From my observation, the issue becomes visible in a situation when Lr processes some photos (e.g., exporting multiple snaps). In such a situation, Alt-Tab just jumps to the next app and instantly goes back to Lr. There is no chance to change applications using Alt-Tab.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 19, 2023 Dec 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm wondering if you have somehow inadvertently picked up a short-cut definition of ALT-TAB within LrC. It looks like both finding and changing short cuts is non trivial. However, if you have any plug-ins I wonder if they could have introduced one. See https://www.lightroomqueen.com/any-shortcut/ for some tips/links.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 19, 2023 Dec 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me, since I use windows 11 (from spring 2023), many explorer.exe crashes couured when I use Alt-Tab inside Lightroom classic (all versions). It's been a while, but sitll no Alt-Tab LrC glitch fixed.🙄😑 

Obviously, action for bug report (Alt-Tab LrC Win11 glitch) will have to be taken ASAP.😤

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2024 Jan 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah man, I experienced it too.
When I'm exporting a lot of photos then pressing Alt + Tab there will be a tendency to make Windows Explorer (file manager) crash. very annoying, I'm surprised Adobe hasn't tried to fix it.

Lr v13.1 on Windows 11

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 28, 2024 Jan 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm surprised Adobe hasn't tried to fix it.

Adobe never said "we're not going to fix it". What one of their employees said is that they cannot duplicate the problem, so until they can duplicate the problem, they have nothing to fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines