• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Missing color profiles in Lightroom Classic when trying to edit dng file (from drone)

Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2023 Jan 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi dear friends, I have a problem with my own profile (preset) in Lightroom.

The problem is that I have created my own color profiles that I would like to be able to apply to each photo. I have RNI profiles in my collection that are visible and I can use them in any edit. My profiles created in CameraRaw overlap great with photos from my Sony A7III but I noticed that when I select photos from my drone (DJI Mini Pro 3) in the "develop" tab - all settings (profile presets and profiles) disappear and I have no way to add them. The problem probably lies in saving my color profiles, because as I wrote, the RNIs are visible regardless of the photo. Only what I see when click in dng file is RNI, and Color and Monochrome profile... but my own profiles just gone xD

What can I do and what should I change to deal with such a problem? Please help me! If more information needs to be sent to you, be sure to let me know. I will be waiting.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Developed color profiles how and for what camera? 

DCP profiles are camera model specific. You can't build one for an A7III and use it for anything but an A7III. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply

I created my profiles based on such guides: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeKpd84-uuc&ab_channel=SeanMcCormack

I think I am doing exactly what he is doing. I have no problem to create my color profiles anew, however, it puzzles me why the RNI profiles - can be imposed on each photo without thinking about what camera they are for. The effects are subtle everywhere. It works the same way when I impose my profiles on my photos (not just from the Sony camera) - but only when shooting from a drone, all options disappear.

I'm not good at tech.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, in that video, the author, who was working with a RAW file, a RAF from a Fujifilm X camera. In the develop module, he had selected a camera matching profile, Provia/Standard. everything after that point is of little importance to the issue at hand.

As a profile specific to one camera, whatever Fujifilm X camera he has, was used, the eventual user created profile will be of no value or use to a different make/model of camera, it might not even work on say an X-T5, if his camera was say an X-T3, much less work on say a Nikon Z5, a Canon EOS IV, your Drone.

If you were to attempt to use that user profile, it will fail.

P.S. had the author started with an Adobe profile, perhaps Standard, it could still fail, their is more than one Adobe Standard, specific to a camera, or a group of cameras. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2023 Jan 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, thank you so much for explaining - this has been quite a vivid topic for the last 3 days in my mind. I have already learned a lot and am currently still looking for answers to two questions.

From which profile to start creating your profile to make it universal like RNI profiles, for all cameras.

And is there any way to salvage the settings of my already created 20-something profiles and convert them to something universal.

Is the only solution to create a CUBE file? Like this author? (I haven't watched the full video yet)

https://youtu.be/h55OuFkNQgc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi dear friends, I have a problem with my own profile (preset) in Lightroom.

The problem is that I have created my own color profiles that I would like to be able to apply to each photo. I have RNI profiles in my collection that are visible and I can use them in any edit. My profiles created in CameraRaw overlap great with photos from my Sony A7III but I noticed that when I select photos from my drone (DJI Mini Pro 3) in the "develop" tab - all settings (profile presets and profiles) disappear and I have no way to add them.

I thinkg that the problem probably is in setting while i saving my color profiles i CameraRaw, because as I wrote, the RNIs are visible regardless of the photo. Only what I see when click in dng file is RNI, and Color and Monochrome profile... but my own profiles just gone xD

What can I do and what should I change to deal with such a problem? Please help me! If more information needs to be sent to you, be sure to let me know. I will be waiting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All correct above. Profiles are camera specific and self made ones are based on existing profiles. 

For my Air 2s, I've done the edit and then followed through to make the profile in Camera Raw to give me a better base for the drone files. It still starts with the default profile. Maybe it's time for an updated video. The real aim of the video when I made it was to show the hidden shortcut to access the profile creation. 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha, hello Sean! I didn't expect that by pasting the link to the video here I would get a response directly from the author. Very nice to meet you and thank you for getting involved.

When I created my profiles, I always deselected the "profile" function - so theoretically I was relying on settings called "camera settings" or something similar.

Hence, I conclude that if DJI does not have support (and I have verified this) in Lightroom, it simply does not catch the "camera settings" settings because they are not there.

My biggest  shock in this situation is the question "how the heck did the creators of the RNI profiles do it" that they work equally well on any type of photo?

Something got me thinking today, because I came across a hint that you can also create LUTs and profiles for Lr, Ps - directly in Photoshop, not in the CameraRAW filter. I assume the idea is to create a solitary layer which is something that resembles a profile created in Camera Raw, but does not make the profile dependent on a particular type of "camera settings or Adohe Color etc."

Some people use CUBE settings to create a profile - based on editing layers in Photoshop (almost like I do on CameraRAW) and only in CameraRAW do they use the cube to create a profile.

My problem now is the additional fact - that if there is no other option then I have to delete all my profiles and create anew - which will take me a very long time.

I would like to be wrong and hear what I should change in my profiles to make them work like RNI.

If necessary, I can send the source code of both files: my profile and RNI

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"When I created my profiles, I always deselected the "profile" function - so theoretically I was relying on settings called "camera settings" or something similar."

Not sure how you deselect the profile. Fairly sure you cannot for RAW. Now you can choose to not select a camera matching profile, but not select (deselect) no profile. Not for a RAW file. As you stated their may actually be no camera matching profiles, but for your RAW files a profile will be used, one from the Adobe RAW set. Their are seven of those. Oh, and for your Drone, if I remember correct, it uses DNG for the RAW file?

Now about those seven Adobe RAW profiles. Their are several versions included in the software, When you select a photo from a particular camera, the version that is appropriate to that camera is in use, in the profile browser, presented to you for use.  Not all cameras have their own version of any of the Adobe RAW profiles, many many cameras will use the same ones, but some cameras presented issues to Adobe when they created the RAW conversion for the cameras, for the particular RAW data. Hence some of these Adobe RAW profiles work for one or a few more cameras, and not others, and visa version. The Adobe Standard profile is the most prevalent one on this. 

Perhaps SeanMcCormack will correct/clarify this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, DJI usually have either Color or Monochrome Profile options. 

I downloaded the Free set from RNI to look inside. The reason why the RNI profiles work with any camera is actually quite simple... this line inside the profile XMP

crs:CameraModelRestriction=""

Between the parentheses is blank. There's a table section that contains compiled data, so that's probably the internal profile. 

If you look closely at the Create Profile dialog, you'll see there's a Color Lookup Table. This is where you load LUTs. 

I'll investigate further. 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad Sean that you downloaded RNI. You checked what I checked, however, it seems to me that this is not about the record you provided. My profile (I am sending it as an attachment) also does not have the information posted there in the code you provided.

In my opinion, the biggest difference lies in this notation IN THE FIRST line:
Mine: .

RNI: .

I also tried to change this code in simple notepad, but I no longer remember if I checked if it worked. I changed something and saw no real effect on the result.

Maybe the issue here is that the file beyond the simple notepad (which we can edit in notepad) is a much more complex code, so the data saved when creating the xmp. file becomes permanent, no matter what I type in the code later.

I'm just speculating and wondering, this could be a complete rant. However, the code is indeed different. Maybe you guys can find this essential "line"

As for the ability to "deselect the profile." - Yes, I had that option. However, just as I guessed, CameraRAW itself selected the profile as a result of forcing, which confirms the fact that you cannot create a profile without selecting any. I understand that, however, it still doesn't change anything. This is not my problem. For the moment, I am left to create profiles in photoshop based on the CUBE format. Perhaps this will help bypass the profile restrictions on the camera.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh... I think the text, was treated as a BB code. Once again, I send these two lines of code

Mine: x:xmpmeta xmlns:x="adobe:ns:meta/" x:xmptk="Adobe XMP Core 7.0-c000 1.000000, 0000/00/00-00:00:00 ">

RNI: x:xmpmeta xmlns:x="adobe:ns:meta/" x:xmptk="Exempi + XMP Core 5.6.0">

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the other hand, I noticed in passing that the RNI completely lacks a record like this one: crs:CameraProfile="Adobe Standard" 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Quick update!

We did it! I removed the notation "crs:CameraProfile="Adobe Standard" from the code and was able to apply the profile to the DNG file as well. However, there was another problem! Hahaha... I'm going crazy!

This time the profile disappears when trying to impose it on jpeg. or hevc. (iOS) the same thing happens as in DNG. Also as in that case, RNI profiles are still visible also on jpeg. or other formats 😞

We have a clue though, maybe it will help us find the cause in the code. I haven't yet tested creating a preset directly through CUBE in CameraRAW.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines