• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Missing photos from lightroom

New Here ,
Jul 25, 2021 Jul 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using LR classic 10.0.  I've been a LR user for a very long time.  I backup my catalog regularly and those backups appear to be on my computer (desktop windows 10)

okay - so today I start LR and it tells me that I have zero photos in all my folders?

If I try and import said missing photos it greys out the images because they are already in the catalog.

Totally confused!

I've never in all the years I've been us

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, if your photos exist in the catalog DON'T use the import. This will make you loose all the edits done on your photos.

It's not clear what you are complaining about. Do the folders in LR have a question mark in front of them ?

Are you still seing the images in the grid whan you select "All photos" ?

If so and if you store your photos on an external drive, Windows might have assigned a letter different from the previous one when you plugged the drive in. This did change the physical path to access the photo files on disk, which no longer matches the path stored in the catalog.

If it's the case, in LR right click on the top folder and select "Change location" then point to the folder on your drive. This will "reconnect" LR to your photo.

If not, please post a screenshot of LR Library module showing exactly what you see and with the folder tab opened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I go to show in explorer from ALL photos it goes to the correct location on my computer (D:)  So the connection between the catalog and the computer seems to be correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have taken a copy of the current LR catalog and renamed it  - just in case!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to post a screen capture which shows what you are experiencing?

In addition provide info on the version number of Windows you have presently installed.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you  - yes I've just posted some screenshots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some good advice here, but have you restarted your computer? 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - I usually turn my computer off every night - and I shutdown LR before I turn off the computer.

LR is telling me there is a new version but I won't update until I resolve whatever this issue is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please share a screen capture. When you use the locate missing images where does it say they were last located? Have you performed a search for one of the file names?

The more information that you can provide the better to enable people to help.

warmly/j

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have posted some screenshots.  When I locate the images it gives me the correct location - the original images are on the hard drive and when I go to the LR folder location it then tells me that there are no photos in that folder .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What hard drive are your photos on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 2 partitions -  'C' drive for system use and 'D' drive for data - and my photos

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That D drive, internal or external.

Also, as this is Windows, is the letter D permanently assigned to it?

And, is that drive allowed to go into power savings when idle? (bad for LrC)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My computer's hard drive has 2 partitions - a C drive and a D drive. The D
drive is for data and photos etc.
Not sure what you mean by power saving though?
Wanda

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And as to backups, where do you backup your photos?

How do you backup your photos?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an external drive (more than 1) where I back up my actual photos to.

I use Adobe's LR backup - usually I do this everytime I exit LR. I've checked in LR backup and backups are there.

I sync with LR cloud - to share with mobile devices - but I don't use this often.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just  double checking, your photo backups are separate from your catalog backup, correct?

Been a few that unfortunately thought backing up the catalog from LrC included the photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you - yes, I backup my actual photos that are on my computer to an external hard drive.  The LR catalog is a separate backup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use Windows finder to check the pictures. The most obvious reason to have no pictures shown is to have an active filter (like show all blue labelled pictures) and not having one picture matching the filter.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got excited! I thought this might be the answer - but there are no filters being used!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you to everyone for trying to resolve this issue.  Here are some screenshots and more details.

LR vers.JPGLR windows.JPGLR3.JPGLR in catalog.JPGLR in catalog.JPGLR not found.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the screen shots show LR version and Windows version.   When I look at ALL Photos - the thumbnails are there - some have exclamation marks - that's ok.  The ones that don't have exclamation marks should be in the catalog.  I have highlighted just 1 image as an example.  I searched for a current date.  THere is a thumbnail of the image highlighted. When I go to the folder as in the last screenshot there's a message that there are no photos in the selected folder.  I have a 'C' Drive for system use and a 'D' drive for data. My photos live on my 'D' drive and are still there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more bit of information - Collections show all the photos but again if I go to the folder in LR  it tells me there are no photos.  So it would seem that the problem lies in the link to the LR folders?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First up after seeing a bit of your folders panel. Some file structure cleanup. Your catalog is a SQL database, it does not like missing records.

Now, you said you keep the photos on your D drive, but I see some C drive entry's. Might be some old detritus, might be photos you want. And many of those with ? mark next to the folders. I recommend that you spend some time checking those out, correct any folder location issues., Remove from LrC, any empty folders (no photos), Move any photos you meant to have on D drive. 

Fix folder location issues, before attacking missing photos issues, fixing folders may fix missing photos, and accomplish multiple missing photos quicker, Missing or relocated or renamed folders could be the toot if a problem.

Expand the folders panel, any other folders with issues?

Make sure that you expand the folders in the folders panel as to see the parent folder.

When the folders panel is in better shape, go and optimize the catalog.

Make sure you have a new backup before optimizing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the question marks relate to images that are on external drives. If I need
to use those images I connect the relevant external drive. It's never
caused an issue before - 10 years plus of using LR.

The images on the C drive shouldn't really be there as I don't store my
photos on the C drive. With this current issue it is only the D drive that
is of concern.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines