• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Missing photos from lightroom

New Here ,
Jul 25, 2021 Jul 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using LR classic 10.0.  I've been a LR user for a very long time.  I backup my catalog regularly and those backups appear to be on my computer (desktop windows 10)

okay - so today I start LR and it tells me that I have zero photos in all my folders?

If I try and import said missing photos it greys out the images because they are already in the catalog.

Totally confused!

I've never in all the years I've been us

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Second up, actually a continuation of first up, in the folders panel, under D drive, a folder, Ok, but then D again? Odd.

A folder named 30 may pastels, then D:, followed by three folders, then continuing on with various folders in alphabetical order.

Do you actually have a folder on drive D, named D drive?

Bit of a puzzle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2021 Jul 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed - there was something very strange about that - I actually found 2 folders with the same name D: drive name - when I saw this (just a few minutes ago)  I knew something weird was going on!!  I've now restored my last LR backup and the folders are back to normal - only 1 D: drive folder.  Not sure what has happened - but some sort of corruption.  

I haven't lost much work between the last backup and today - a handful of images so all is well.

Thank you for your assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recommend that you spend some time restructuring your photo file structure.

Perhaps, create a folder in the root of D drive, name it, perhaps, Images_by_Vanja.

In that folder create subfolders as you see fit.

This should be done in LrC, in the folders panel.

Move your photos into the new folders, this also done in LrC. (If you in fact have nicely named, functional folders, that we simply do not see in your screen capture, sure, move the folders)

Point is to get folder management under control. And to know exactly where your photos are, were they are not, and what you should be backing up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when I go to the LR folder location it then tells me that there are no photos in that folder .

Hmm, another doublecheck, are you confusing number of photos in a folder with number in subfolder,?

see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LZSqvXBwBw

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See the forest through the trees.

So, often, clicking on All Photos is helpful for diagnostics to find missing photos. But it is showing the entire computer, and much of the missing might be on a specific drive.

Recommend, clicking on a parent folder instead. Not at a computer, cannot remember if clicking on drive will work

How much if the missing is drive C? As opposed to D?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't normally go via all photos. The whole issue began when I went to
my current folder to do some editing. Even though the folder shows that
there are x number if images, when you click on the folder it says that
there are no photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THere is a thumbnail of the image highlighted. When I go to the folder as in the last screenshot there's a message that there are no photos in the selected folder.

If you right click on this thumbnail and select "Go to folder in Library", does it show the thumbnail in the folder ?

The images on the C drive shouldn't really be there as I don't store my
photos on the C drive.

If these folders on C are shown in the catalog, it's because at some point in time you did import photos from these folder. Since they are now marked as missing (the question mark), I suspect that at some other point in time you moved them somewhere on the D drive, but you did it outside of LR, so LR didn't update their location in its catalog.

I agree with a previous comment, you must fix your photo storage structure mess before doing anything else with your catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have an issue with the storage structure. I know where my photos
are and I understand why LR has a ? for some of the files - there are only
a few and I know why.

My big issue is that there is a broken link between the LR catalog and the
folders in the library. THe photos and edits appear in 'collections'. I
can edit those photos. If I click on the image or folder and ask to go to
the folder in LR then it says that there are 0 photos in the folder.
No thumbnails appear.

So ALL images show me thumbnails. LR can find them on my hard drive - I
haven't moved/delete or renamed anything.

Collections can find my photos and edit them, export them etc - no problems.

The problem is with the LR folders. Specifically on my D drive where I
have always stored my photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
So ALL images show me thumbnails. LR can find them on my hard drive

This doesn't mean that LR can access the original files. It only means that the thumbnails of the photos are in the preview cache (the <name of the catalog> Preview.lrdata folder located next to the catalog file).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you to everyone who has tried to help me out.

There doesn't seem to be an answer to my dilema.

I've restored my catalog from the last backup and everything is now back to normal.

The links between the LR folders and the catalog file appear to have been corrupted somehow.

Anyway - I'm back up now - thanks again everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines