Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Missing Photos Questions

New Here ,
Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I’m a LR Classic user running version 9.4 on Mac OS 10.13 High Sierra.

I cannot update LR Classic because my 2010 iMac does not support higher (more récent) OS versions.

I store my photos in LR folders together with the LR catalog and settings on an external disk. My LR Classic catalog contains some 28k photos of which about 8K are listed as missing. These photos are presumably scattered on various places on the iMac’s internal disk.

Since I cannot possibly relink individually 8K photos to LR, my questions are:

-Will the missing photos be found if I reimport the originals from the internal hard disk into Lightroom ?

-Will this import create duplicates? Can this be avoided?

Thank you for any help.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

-Will the missing photos be found if I reimport the originals from the internal hard disk into Lightroom ?

No.  They will not import! as they are already referenced in the Catalog, even though they are 'missing'.

-Will this import create duplicates?

No. (unless you allow 'duplicates' -NOT recommended), but it will NOT fix the 'missing' images in the catalog.

Can this be avoided?

Yes. If you use the recommended methods for locating Missing images. Relink missing FOLDERS[?]  first!

MISSING FILES & FOLDERS (Lightroom Queen)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

-Will the missing photos be found if I reimport the originals from the internal hard disk into Lightroom ?

No.  They will not import! as they are already referenced in the Catalog, even though they are 'missing'.

-Will this import create duplicates?

No. (unless you allow 'duplicates' -NOT recommended), but it will NOT fix the 'missing' images in the catalog.

Can this be avoided?

Yes. If you use the recommended methods for locating Missing images. Relink missing FOLDERS[?]  first!

MISSING FILES & FOLDERS (Lightroom Queen)

MISSING FILES AND FOLDERS-(Computer Darkroom)

MISSING FILES & FOLDERS (Adobe link)

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you  for your reply and suggestions. 

I greatly appreciate them. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2022 Mar 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Find Missing Photo" Not Working...

I use Light Room Classic and which has been updated as appropriate.

--  From time to time, I discover a photo which will not open in "develop" stating the photo cannot be found.

--  Historically, by clicking on this error message, it gave me an option to "find" the original photo in my various file folders.

--  Just recently, I still get this "photo cannot be found," but it is now lacking the option of searching for the missing photo.

Is this just a bug, or has this option been removed? I cannot find it elsewhere.

Thanks in advance for you kind assistance...

Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 25, 2022 Mar 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So a mouse click on the [!] badge- does nothing? Or something else?

Are you using Smart Previews with the originals not 'attached'?

"From time to time"- you need to discover WHY this might be happening.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines