Missing photos

New Here ,
Jul 09, 2022 Jul 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys,

I've went through all "missing photo" posts here but it seems that mine is a bit different: When I do "Sync folder" Lightroom Classic tells me that some of my photos are missing. When I look at the images I can even ask Lightroom to show me the photos in my Windows Explorer. And guess what: They are all existing. I have this issue for quite a while now (several years) but now I was able to identify the root cause:

Everytime I have an image which has the identical filename/exif data but a different filetype Lightroom Classic can't find one of them:

E.g. in my folder I have those two images: 20131020_164026.JPG and 20131020_164026.CR2 Lightroom tells me that 20150508_000000.jpeg is missing. As you might see: My filenames match the exif date and time so I don't know if the bug is caused by the filename or the exif data but it's 100% reproducable.

I couldn't find this in the existing bug-overview but it would be amazing if someone could confirm this so it can be fixed in some upcoming release.

I'm running the latest Lightroom Classic on a Windows 11 PC with all latest builds.

Thanks and cheers,

Oliver

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Synchronize Folder has been reporting incorrect numbers of missing files since at least LR 6.0. There was a bug report filed about this:

Lightroom: Synchronize Folder shows spurious number of missing files | Photoshop Family Customer Com...

But it got dropped in the transition last year from the old feedback forum to the new community forums.

The easy workaround is to ignore what Synchronize Folder says and use Library > Find All Missing Photos instead.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not able to reproduce that behavior. I exported a .jpg from a .cr2 (so they have the same base name and capture date and other metadata).  I placed them in the same folder and imported them into LR.  Synchronize Folder behaved correctly.

Unfortunately, Adobe won't look at an issue unless it is easily reproducible. At this point, I think what would be required to get them to pay attention: Make a new empty catalog.  Make a "Pictures" folder inside the catalog folder.  Put the problem .cr2 and .jpg into that Pictures folder and then import them into LR.  Verify that Synchronize Folder misbehaves. Then zip up the catalog folder, upload it to Dropbox, Google Drive, or similar, and post the sharing link here.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply!

In my case we're talking about a small no. of images where this bug occurs. I still thought it's worth mentioning and I still hope that it gets fixed. But after your reply I was starting to wonder if this forum represents the bug-repository. I mean wouldn't Adobe add those findings to their official bug-tracker? Or are those findings purely managed in the forum and after the transition to a new forum this "not so critical" bugs will be ignored?

Just curious...

Thanks again 🙂

Best regards,

Oliver

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The Bug forum section here is the official place for users to submit bug reports. A senior Adobe employee reviews them and, for the ones that are reproducible, he assigns them an internal tracking number, and the post's state changes to indicate that Adobe has acknowledged the bug and is tracking it

This was the process used in the old feedback forum too.  But since we no longer can access the above-linked bug report, I can't tell whether it was ever assigned a tracking number. It may not have been, since I don't recall there ever being a reliable recipe to reproduce the bug.

Even if was assigned a tracking number, there are likely hundreds of such very old bugs that will never be examined by Adobe.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines