• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

modify page layouts in Book Module

Advisor ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to create a simple magazine out of 8 1/2 x 11 paper, folding the paper and stapling it in the middle, with an image on each side of the page.  I don't see an otpion to change to Landscape format, so I edited the Auto Layout as shown below for 2 photos per page.  But in the 2nd screenshot, the page I changed is showing the image standing on its side.  I need to rotate it but don't see an otpion for that.  Is there a better way to achieve my desire result?  Thank you.      

bartonlew_0-1646862714326.png

bartonlew_0-1646863153233.png

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Some more suggestions-

1) Use the Print Module [Single Image / Contact Sheet] layout

Set: Rows and Columns.  eg.One - ROW, Two - COLUMNS. (See Templates!)

Adjust all the slider options in the Layout panel as you wish.

This layout WILL automatically FILL all the photo cells with ALL the selected photos in the sort order shown in the filmstrip, and allow you to 'Print' multiple 'pages' with one [Print] command.

2022-03-10 13_02_32-Clipboard.jpg

2) You CAN Print to a PDF!

Windows-10 has a 'Virtual' printer that is - "Microsoft P

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are up against a 'brick wall' in the book module.

The 'Blurb Magazine' layout is only available as vertical (Portrait) pages. You cannot have it as a landscape 8.5x11in.

If you intend to print the book pages then rotate the pages for your 'stapled' magazine, you would need to rotate (in Library Grid view) ALL the photos (as Virtual Copies) so they appear rotated in the BLurb Magazine page layout.

2022-03-10 08_36_10-Clipboard.jpg

You would be better to use the Print Module with a 'Custom Package'.

You can use a Landscape Layout for 'Letter' paper (from printer options), or set output to JPEG and use any page 'Dimensions' you want.

You have a freehand placement of photo cells.

The limitations are that all the pages (Prints) will be the same layout. Unless you can create (and save as templates) various print Custom Package layouts and be selective of the photos for each Template run of [Print]. Have a template for the Cover. Have a template for 4up photos (2x2). etc.

2022-03-10 08_39_56-Lightroom Catalog-v11 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Print.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, this is very helpful.  It looks like you can just drag and drop photos on the pages as you wish, sizing and centering/placing them as you like.  What do you do when done?  Click on Print to File, which when I did wanted to overwrite the folder I selected.  So I created a new folder and printed to it, and each page was saved as its own JPG.  Which is okay, but it would be easier if it were all in one file that I could print from.  And also, can you not print to PDF using this option?  I see in addition to the Print to File option, there is a Print option next to it, but it's grayed out.  Thank you again.  

bartonlew_0-1646877958663.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some more suggestions-

1) Use the Print Module [Single Image / Contact Sheet] layout

Set: Rows and Columns.  eg.One - ROW, Two - COLUMNS. (See Templates!)

Adjust all the slider options in the Layout panel as you wish.

This layout WILL automatically FILL all the photo cells with ALL the selected photos in the sort order shown in the filmstrip, and allow you to 'Print' multiple 'pages' with one [Print] command.

2022-03-10 13_02_32-Clipboard.jpg

2) You CAN Print to a PDF!

Windows-10 has a 'Virtual' printer that is - "Microsoft Print to PDF"- this will create one PDF with pages in the order you see in the Print Module.

Rob_Cullen_0-1646881536095.png

Adobe Acrobat, or freeware Apps (eg. PrimoPDF) can also be used as Virtual Printers that will create a PDF from the Print module. (Mac printer systems have a 'PDF' option in the printer dialog)

Rob_Cullen_1-1646881757916.png

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Mar 10, 2022 Mar 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  Some of the photos are portrait and most are landscape. In the screenshot below, I sized the right cell first for the portrait photo, then selected "Use:  All Filmstrip Photos" which populated the pages.  But the landscape photos are standing on thehr side, as in the left one in the screenshot.  Can I have different cell sizes on one page?  Also, why is my "Print" option still grayed out, while yours is not?  

bartonlew_0-1646930689861.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 17, 2022 Mar 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But the landscape photos are standing on thehr side,

Uncheck [Zoom to Fill] in the Image Settigs panel.

Can I have different cell sizes on one page?

No.  Another disadvantage of the 'Contact Sheet' style (Rows & Columns)

Also, why is my "Print" option still grayed out, while yours is not?

You have the [Print To;] set as JPEG-  So you can only [Print to File].

So maybe the final answer (for your stapled magazine) is to use the Book module with a Landscape book (13x11?) and 'Print to PDF', then you can choose your Paper size when you print the PDF to paper.

But we have explored several possibilities. 🙂

Sorry for a slow reply!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Mar 17, 2022 Mar 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank so much for following up, this helps a lot.  I decided I really don't need different orientations on facing pages, and rather think I shouldn't.  But it helps to know a workaround regardless.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines