• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

(Monterey) Memory Leak with GPU enabled

Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was trying to kick out a 2-day commercial shoot yesterday using Lightroom Classic 11.0 and Monterey 12.0.1. It crashed my computer at least 5 times. I opened up Activity Monitor to see if it was a memory leak or CPU issue. I could see the RAM allocation steadily rising from 1.12 GB until it finally allocated all the RAM available (16 GB) and crashed my computer. The kind of crash where you can't force-quit applications or use keyboard shortcuts to stop processes. The spinning beachball wheel of death.

I finally went into Lightroom preferences under Performance and turned OFF the GPU option where it is supposed to offload processing to your graphics card. I purposely upgraded my graphics card when I bought my MacBook Pro in 2018 specifically for this purpose. As soon as I toggled that off, I noticed the RAM allocation dramatically dropped to 7 GB and remained there. I was able to finish my session and export the photos.

Is this an Apple OS issue or an Adobe issue? I'm leaning towards both. Adobe has a long history with graphics card incompatibility issues and Apple has removed the ability to manually update graphics card drivers as they are now included with the OS. Also of note, I only work on one catalog at a time. Once I'm finished with my edits, I export the sidecar files and delete the images from Lightroom. Keeping my catalog small, lightweight, and nimble. 
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Clearly noticing other members pain with Monterey leads me to avoiding upgrading my MACOS for a few more weeks.

Moving on

Using Google to search on:

MACOS Monterey memory leaks

Shows that a problem exists with the OS with multiple applications, not just Adobe apps. Sounds like a Apple problem

for example:

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/11/01/macos-monterey-memory-leak-user-reports/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines