• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Move all images & catalog from Laptop to desktop

Enthusiast ,
Aug 06, 2021 Aug 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have photos on both my Mac Laptop and Desktop. I want all the photos that currently reside on the laptop moved over to desktop. If I export cataloge from laotop and open on desktop, will it then merge the images? Will it not move duplicates? Just want my ducks in a row before I do the catalogue export, (Some images may reside on both)

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out! If you move all your images from one machine to the other, you may have to link the catalog with the new location of the images on the second computer as the location would differ. If the folder structure of the images does not change, you should be able to link the parent folder in the catalog & use the same folder on the second machine.

If required, you can check out: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/locate-missing-photos.html

Let us know if you have any other questions!

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The process would be:

1. Export the Laptop catalog and all of the files. Be sure all folders are selected in the folders panel.

2. "Import" that catalog and files into the desktop. You would not "open" that catalog on the desktop.

As for the duplicates, they will be in separate folders where they were in the laptop catalog and desktop catalog. If you then, in the Catalog panel look at all photos sorted by date created, the dupes should be side by side even though they are in separate folders, unless you have changed the date or time on the original files. Depending on what processing you have done to the originals when they are on separate machines, you may or may not want do delete one or the other.

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 07, 2021 Aug 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
  1. Copy the catalog file to the desktop
  2. Copy the photo files to the desktop
  3. To merge the catalogs: Open the desktop catalog, then File->Import from Another Catalog, and then select the catalog file copied from the laptop
  4. Connect Lightroom Catalog to the new location of the photos copied from the laptop http://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr2_find_folder/find-folder.htm

AT NO TIME SHOULD YOU IMPORT THE IMAGES. This is so important, I am going to say it three more times.

AT NO TIME SHOULD YOU IMPORT THE IMAGES.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines