• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Moving all my photos from my old external drives to a new one

Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using latest version of Lightroom Classic with a MacPro with OS Catalina. My two external drives where I store all my photos are about to be fill up and I have bought a bigger drive to replace the old ones. I have copied all the files to the new drive by using Finder. 

Now my question is how do I connect Lightroom to the files on the new drive?

Arski

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Complete explanation, with screen captures: http://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr2_find_folder/find-folder.htm

If you have kept the folder hierarchy unchanged, all you have to do is shown in Figure 4, "Find Missing Folder" or "Update Folder Location" on the parent folder. If you have moved things around, then you have more work to do, probably reconnect folder by folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply. I have now tried out your guide, but unfortunately, it didn`t work. I was not able to update folder locations. I find it strange that it shall be so complicated to change to another drive. This is something that everybody will have to do from time to time. 

I am going to change to a new iMac soon, so I think I will wait with this until I can do it all in one go. 

Arski

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try the Update Folder Location command using the context menu at the root folder. 

As you can see below, I have a drive (Lightroom) and I've clicked on the top folder and used the command shown below. 

FindFolder.jpg

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Step by step, where did it go wrong?

What was the exact wording of the error message?

Using Finder, check to make sure you have READ and WRITE access to both the drive and the folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines