• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Moving bulk files from old externals to new larger external drives

Explorer ,
Sep 27, 2022 Sep 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I have purchased a couple of new larger hard drives and I would like to know the best method to move my images from the old drives to the new. The move will contain 100,000 plus raw images so it will take a while. My idea was to just use Carbon Copy Cloner and then point lightroom at the parent folder in the new drive. Does this sound like the best way?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To me, this sounds like a plan. Make sure to not change anything below the top parent folder.

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The thread below popped up when I posted and it seems I was on the right track. ie; As long as your file structures are mirrored and you have a 'Master' or 'Parent' folder, everything (collections, tags, adjustents, etc) should transfer over fine when you - 'Update Folder Location' on the Parent folder. I was thinking of just moving the folder through LR as its on a single catalog but its way too big and would take forever compared to copying the old drive in CCC. Plus I read somewhere a while back that LR doesnt always do a bulk move that

well.  https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/transferring-3-external-drives-to-1-big-exte...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Correct, everything will move on after you update the top parent folder location.

Personally, I never had any issue with file manipulations in LrC. However, for this big move, I'd also use the OS or special tools and update LrC subsequently with 'Update Folder Location'.

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines