• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Moving external drive to different PC

New Here ,
May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have both my LR catalog & photos on an external drive.  It is attached to my laptop as drive D:.  If I move the external drive to my desktop the drive letter changes to G:.  Will the change in drive letter cause any problems with the LR catalog?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"problems"- Yes, but easily fixed!

On Drive G The LrC Catalog will still be 'looking' for a connected Drive D and show all Folders (and photos) as "Missing". ([?]on folders, [!] on photos). There a two ways to fix-

1) Easiest (and permanent) way- Rename the external Drive to a letter further along the alphabet. eg. Rename it to  the P Drive. (Photos-get it?) Then it will always be the P drive no matter which computer it is plugged.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/lightroom-loses-photo-location-after-drive-letter-chang...

Then Re-link Missing Files and Folders to the P Drive as in the following link (only needs doing once!)-

2)The annoying way- Relink the 'Missing' folders in the folder panel each time you swap the drive to another computer.

MISSING FILES AND FOLDERS-(Computer Darkroom)

Nothing in the fix requires Importing or Synchronizing folders!!!  NO IMPORTING!

Your Catalog Preferences may also need adjusting to always start/open the Catalog on the P Drive.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines