moving files on hard drive problem

Explorer ,
Jan 11, 2023 Jan 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has happened to me a few times recently:

Mac M1 max

I have 2 drives with my catalog. Let's say C and D 

In LrC library, after I drag a folder from C to drive D, the folder successfully get copied to D, and the folder disappears from C.

However, the files are copied to D, instead of 'moved' to D. Even when there is no file shown in the Lr library, it is still occupying space in my C hard drive, as well as D drive.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 11, 2023 Jan 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The default behaviour for Lightroom Classic is and always has been to 'Move' folders/files, then delete the files from the original location (see attached screenshot).

Please explain where you're carrying out the moving operation (i.e. within macOS or within LrC). The reason I'm asking is that there has never been a drag and drop option to 'Copy' between disks in LrC. On the other hand macOS drag and drop from disk to disk is actually a 'Copy' operation.

I've just checked on three Mac's and the LrC drag and drop behaviour and still only moves files, which removes to files from their original location.

You see a more detailed explanation of why using drag and drop large numbers of files between disks in LrC is best avoided at Part 2 of https://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr2_find_folder/find-folder.htm

Untitled-1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What @Ian Lyons said.

The only other thought would be a permissions issue preventing the deletion of the moved folder on the source drive. Has LrC been granted Full Disk Access? See: https://www.lightroomqueen.com/disk-permissions-monterey-classic/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines