Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Moving from Lighroom 4 to LR Classic

New Here ,
Mar 19, 2024 Mar 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all.

I have been using Lightroom 4 for many years and love it.  When I moved my PC to Windows 11 I was able to install LR 4 but the UI is tiny, even when I increase the scale for my display.  I don't see another way to fix that.

So I'm willing to make the move to LR Classic, but have a couple of questions:

1.  Will the latest version of LR Classic be able to read and import my library from LR 4?

2.  Is there a way to purchase only LR and not Phtoshop?  I already use Photoshop Elements and it is fine for my needs.

Thank you for your help.

David

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 19, 2024 Mar 19, 2024

LrC will upgrade a copy of your LR 4 catalog, and you'll be able to continue exactly where you left off in LR 4.

The interface will be very familiar, but there are loads of new features.

If this is a new computer, copy the folder containing your catalog to a location of your choice.

Then either double-click the catalog file (ends with .lrcat) in the File explorer, or use File > Open in Lrc to upgrade the catalog.

See also https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-move-lightroom-to-new-computer/

You c

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in the future, to find the best place to post your message, use the list here, https://community.adobe.com/

p.s. i don't think the adobe website, and forums in particular, are easy to navigate, so don't spend a lot of time searching that forum list. do your best and we'll move the post (like this one has already been moved) if it helps you get responses.

<"moved from using the community">

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your help and for moving my post.

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you're welcome (and i don't see a lrc plan), https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/plans.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LrC will upgrade a copy of your LR 4 catalog, and you'll be able to continue exactly where you left off in LR 4.

The interface will be very familiar, but there are loads of new features.

If this is a new computer, copy the folder containing your catalog to a location of your choice.

Then either double-click the catalog file (ends with .lrcat) in the File explorer, or use File > Open in Lrc to upgrade the catalog.

See also https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-move-lightroom-to-new-computer/

You cannot subscribe to LrC only, but the Photography plan (20GB) includes LrC and Photoshop.

This is the cheapest option at 10 US dollars (or equivalent) a month.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Current LrC 13.2 reads Lr 4 catalogs.

Is there a way to purchase only LR and not Phtoshop?  I already use Photoshop Elements and it is fine for my needs.

Do you mean purchase LrC? There is a new software named Lightroom which is differefnt than Lightroom Classic. To obtain the new LrC, you must subscribe to the Photography Plan, which includes Photoshop. You have no choice in this matter. Also, do not subscribe to the Lightroom plan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks everyone for the helpful replies.

Yes, I am interested in LrC so I will subscribe to the Photography Plan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines