• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Moving from Lightroom Classic to Photoshop and back to Lightroom Classic loses develop settings

Community Beginner ,
Aug 12, 2021 Aug 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Community,

When I move an image from Lightroom Classic to Photoshop "Edit in Photoshop", make an edit and then "Save" back to Lightroom Classic the original Develop adjustments are reset to zero.

How can I maintain the Develop adjustments for continued editing.

Kind Regards,

Graphicalman

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 12, 2021 Aug 12, 2021

Your technical explanation is completely wrong, but your conclusion about the workflow and why the sliders are all set to zero is correct. What actually happens is that Lightroom does not export a tiff, but instructs Photoshop to open the raw file with the Lightroom edit information. Photoshop uses Camera Raw to do this, but because the edit settings come from Lightroom, the Camera Raw interface is suppressed. After the raw conversion in ACR, a new RGB image is now open in Photoshop, and because

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Graphicalman  the step you are missing is that LrC exports a file (normally TIFF) to load into PS for processing. PS does not understand LrC development settings.

When you return to LrC from  PS, you should see that you now have a TIFF file and the original file in a stack. From a workflow point of view, you would now continue your edits in the TIFF file.

Personally, I use very little PS so it's normally the last step in my workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"PS does not understand LrC development settings.'

What? Not true.

Unless you are using creative profile, the profile will not be embedded, known bug. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your technical explanation is completely wrong, but your conclusion about the workflow and why the sliders are all set to zero is correct. What actually happens is that Lightroom does not export a tiff, but instructs Photoshop to open the raw file with the Lightroom edit information. Photoshop uses Camera Raw to do this, but because the edit settings come from Lightroom, the Camera Raw interface is suppressed. After the raw conversion in ACR, a new RGB image is now open in Photoshop, and because that image has not been saved yet, the titlebar will show the file name and the raw extension, not yet a tiff or psd extension. That is what often confuses people, who think that the raw file itself is opened in Photoshop.

When you have made your Photoshop edits and hit the 'Save' menu, the image is saved as a tiff file or a psd file (according to the external editor settings in Lightroom) and is added to the Lightroom catalog. Because it is a new file, all the sliders in the develop module in Lightroom will be set to zero. The initial Lightroom edits and the Photoshop edits are 'baked into the pixels'.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @JohanElzenga and @GoldingD for correcting my misinformation.

My statement was based on Preferences where there is a setting under 'External Editing' for Photoshop 2020.  The preference says "16-bit ProPhoto RGB is the recommended choice for best preserving color details from Lightroom.". I assumed this was the setting of the extract passed to PS 2020. It seems to be for other external editors like Topaz.

From testing, I now see this PS setting is for the format to return to LrC from PS; either TIFF or PSD.

Thanks for the lesson.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are talking about the new photo showing up in LrC after Edit in Photoshop, and you close Photoshop, That is a brand new photo in LrC, all previous LrC edits to the original photo are baked into the new photo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2021 Aug 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you to everybody who replied - I think that I will following the advice of "DS256" and not use photoshop until the last step in my workflow - using this method will preserve my original adjustments in Lightroom Classic for future use.

Kind Regards,

Graphicalman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines