• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Moving LR library to cloud

New Here ,
Apr 27, 2023 Apr 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have started my lightroom journey on the cloud version. Hence I have a lot of photos stored online which I'm super happy with. Recently, though, I discovered that developing photos i much faster and - for me - easier in the Classic LR app.

So I want to use LR Classic - but 1) I don't want my laptop to block my 250 GB HD with 100 GB (and growing) of photos 2) I work both at a desktop and a laptop so I need to be able to work seamlessly across computers (and LR app).

Preferably, the master library would be in a cloud service and only photos, I'm working with stored locally. I have searched the net and talked to a number of other LR enthusiasts without a good result - is that completely impossible?

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic always keeps originals on local storage. There is no option to store a catalog or originals in the cloud. Lightroom Classic can sync Smart Previews to the cloud, but not originals. There is no option to sync edits across multiple computers running Classic, partly because the cloud storage can sync with only one Classic catalog at a time.

Cloud-based Lightroom always uses cloud storage for originals, so if that version has the features you need, and you can afford the rate for the cloud storage capacity you need, that is the only way to keep edit originals on multiple computers seamlessly, and it requires that originals be in the cloud too. (For better performance, it is possible to have cloud Lightroom keep local copies of originals as space allows. But the actual originals must always be in the cloud.)

If you must use Classic for the features and workflow, and across multiple computers, what many people do is put the originals and the primary catalog on a large external volume (for example, a high capacity bus-powered SSD) carried to and connected to the computer you want to edit on. This also requires keeping Lightroom Classic configuration settings (preferences, presets, keywords, autofill lists…) consistent across those computers, which you have to set up yourself (such as with syncing software) because Lightroom Classic does not provide an automatic way to do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't know the answer to most of your questions, but this one I do know:

So I want to use LR Classic - but I don't want my laptop to block my 250 GB HD with 100 GB (and growing) of photos

Photos in LrC do not have to be stored on the internal disk — and probably should NOT be stored on an internal disk, unless that's all you have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines