• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Moving picture files between folders

New Here ,
Aug 14, 2022 Aug 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Lightroom 11.4.1 with Windows 10. I use Lightroom to down load my photos to a file and then use Lightroom to move them to diffrent file folders based on content. I found If I select the pictures I want to move starting by highlighting them from the bottom up or right to left, the picture files will move to the new folder but the Lightroom generated previews will not move with them leaving them unlinked.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you talking about Library previews or xmp files? 

The library previews are place in a subfolder withing the folder containing your catalog.

The xmp files. if created, are placed in the same folder as the photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you go to a folder using Lightroom you are shown previews of the of the raw files in the folder.  After the move the previews are still linked to the original folder but the raw files are no longer there, they have been moved to the folder they were draged to.  Click on the preview in the original folder Lightroom indicates the file is missing.  There is no preview associated with the new location. Does this clear things up?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving a photo has no bearing on the previews so I'm confused by what you are 'seeing' let alone reporting. 

The preview are either in a separate document(s) or embedded into the image itself. What makes you say the previews 'don't move'? 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

look at my replys to two other responces. The previews remain attached to the original file folder while the Raw files ahve been moved to a new file folder.  There are no previews shown for the new location and if you try to do anything with the preview at the old location you get a message indication the file is missing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2022 Aug 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The previews are in a seperate file, but in Lightroom when you point to a file folder the previews associated with the files in that folder are shown on the screen.  After requesting Lightroom to move files to a different folder, the files have been moved but the previews remain attached to the original folder. Does this clear your confusion?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To move images within LrC you have to be in the Library module grid mode select the image files then click on the center of the image and hold, then drag and drop to the folder in the left hand column. Is that you are doing?

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=yfp-t&ei=UTF-8&p=Move+image+files+within+Lightroom+Cl...

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. If I highlight  a picture in the grid and then go up hold shift and click on a picture several rows up then drag and drop, the raw files move but not the previews. If I highlight  a picture in the grid and then go down hold shift and click on a picture several rows below then drag and drop, everything moves as expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Explain you stated "the raw files move but not the previews."

What are you referring to as previews, do you mean the images are still displayed in the grid view of the folder?

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The previews remain in the grid view of the original folder. The Raw files have been moved to the new folder, but there are no previews available at the grid view for the new folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Refer to my post from yesterday afternoon, reset your LrC Preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would say you are probably experiencing a very weird situation and your Lightroom Classic preferences file may be corrupt and needs to be reset. See the article at the link below.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, I am going to try replicating my observations and then I will try resetting preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines