Exit

Moving pictures from external HD not possible

New Here ,
Dec 24, 2020 Dec 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi every one

I have the following problem.

I installed LR Classic and migrated the catalogue I used in the past. Every thing seems fine. I can see my folders of the internal HD and also the folders of the external HD with all the pictures in it.

Unfortunately it is not possible to move any picture or folder from the external HD to another place in LR. It's also not possible to move a picture from the external HD to another place on the same external HD.

There is always an error (see attachments...sorry is in german)

I can edit the pictures and even print them but not move them.

The pictures and folders I have on the internal HD can be moved.

What could be the problem? Has anyone an idea?

On Finder (I work with a MacBookPro) i can move the folders and pictures. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please explain the exact steps, in detail, you are using when you try to move the photos. Please explain in detail what happens that makes you say "it is not possible to move any picture or folder from the external HD to another place in LR".

Please attach screen captures by using the Insert Photos icon. Many people will not download attachments.

Embed screenshot.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the future, So people don't have to download the image you have attached, please use the Insert Photos icon found in the Tool Bar of the Post and Reply text entry dialog window as pictured below.
Since you Can't Edit your original post to remove the Attached screen shot Please include the screen shot you attached to a new reply to this conversation by clicking the Blue Reply button under your original post and use the Insert Photos icon in the tool bar.
The Insert Photos icon is this one in the Tool Bar.

2020-11-19 10_13_55-Pasting images into posts - Adobe Support Community - 11608749.png

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to hear you are having an issue. Please describe your precise steps so people can offer suggestions.

warmly/j

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answers. And I am sorry for uploading attachments on the wrong place.

In the following screenshot you can see the folders and HD in LR. Most of my pictures are on the external HD (My Passport for Mac).

Bildschirmfoto 2020-12-24 um 16.37.25.png

Within the Macintosh HD I can drag and drop folders ore pictures into another folder or on to the NAS (photo) but it is not possible tho move them to the external HD (My Passport for Mac). Also when I try to move pictures or folders within the external HD or if I try to move them to the Macintosh HD the following error appears.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-12-24 um 14.01.42.png

If I try to move folders from the external HD to for example the internal HD, the folder name was created but no pictures are in the folder (when I check it in Finder).

I hope this information helps you to find out what problem it could be.

Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure you have given Lightroom Classic permission to access external disks. This is done in System Preferences->Security and privacy->Privacy tab. Scroll down to Files & Folders and look for Lightroom Classic. If it has everything checked, the problem might be that your external is not formatted correctly or that the folder you are trying to write to on the external has the wrong permissions. If it is an NTFS format disk, you won't be able to write to it. Do a get info on the disk in Finder and look for the format. It should be "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" or APFS (if it is a SSD). If it is NTFS, it needs to be reformatted or you need to use a third party extension that allows Mac OS X to write to it. This is very common as many external disks come formatted as NTFS as that is what is typical in windows land.

If the disk is formatted correctly, do a get info on the folder you are trying to write into and check that you have write permissions in that folder. If not, fix them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 26, 2020 Dec 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Jao vdL 

Thank you! I think the write permissions was the problem. After changing them it works in LR. At least at the moment! Great help!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines