• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My apologies -I'm opening a topic that I previously closed.

Contributor ,
Mar 23, 2024 Mar 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awhile ago I was having issues with grayed out thumbnails in Lr Classic using a Mac.  I received several well informative and well meaning replies.  I finally gave up - went to the missing photos folder (which I now can't find) and deleted all of the missing grayed out thumbnails  There were about 1700 of them.

I thought that would solve my problem.  

WRONG

I recently opened a collection and found several grayed out thumbnails.  I frequently use this collection and have never seen these kind of thumbnails.  I called Adobe.  They said the cause of these thumbnails was the way I was deleting them from Lr.  I have always chosen Delete from Disk.  They  said that was deleting the original file but leaving the corresponding thumbnail still on Lr.  Not sure I believe them.  Any thruth to that?

Another weird thing about all of this is that now I am finding the missing files.  Some are in trash.  As I have been locating these missing files I have discovered that I never put any of these images into that specific collection.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just finished reading your previous thread and the actions you took to correct the grey thumbnails. In the previous thread the thumbnails also contained an exclamation (!) badge at top right corner. An '!' badge indicates that the file associated with the thumbnail is missing. If that's what you're now seeing in the collection you mention, then the files are missing. 

I've attached a dialog that appears when you choose to delete a file. You'll see that provides two options for removing a file (Remove from Lightroom) and deleting a file (Delete from Disk). The first option leaves the file in the original folder , but removes it from the catalog. The second option removes the file from the catalog and puts it into the trash. However, neither of these options would leave you with a grey thumbnail.

So, above raises the following questions:

1. Do you move files from folder to folder outside of LrC?

2. Do you trash some of the files in these folders outside of LrC?

remove file.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

An ! icon appears in the newly discovered thumbnails as well as all of the gray thumbnails.

I have always chosen Delete from Disk.  I never mess around moving images outside of Lr.  

I frequently get this message.  See attached screen shot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The threrad that you mention above can be found at

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/grayed-out-thumbnails/m-p/14358973#M353...

and another from December 2023, which appears to be the same issue can be found at https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/problem-with-classic-version-13-0-missi...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines