• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My exported photos are all converting to color from black and white after exporting them. Why?

New Here ,
Dec 23, 2021 Dec 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My exported photos are all converting to color from black and white after exporting them. Why?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 24, 2021 Dec 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your Export settings, what did you use for File Settings > Image Format?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Library, select the problem original photo and do Metadata > Save Metadata To File, which will save its develop settings to the .xmp sidecar. Then upload the original raw and its .xmp sidecar to Dropbox, Google Drive, or similar and post the sharing link here. That will be the most efficient way of narrowing down where the problem is, rather than play twenty questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"My exported photos are all converting to color from black and white after exporting them. Why?"

• Are you saying that your exported JPG's display as colour or that the metadata shows they are colour images?
  • Do you have any export plugins or presets that could be affecting the export?
  • I assume that in LrC DEVELOP, the TREATMENT is showing as BLACK&WHITE or did you just desaturate the colour.

I just tried this on one of my B&W TREATMENTS and it exported B&W but with an sRGB colour space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The pics were shot in Black and white. Jpg format. When I export them with a watermark they convert to color???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"The pics were shot in Black and white. Jpg format."

Select one, do Metadata > Save Metadata To File, then upload that .jpg original to Dropbox, Google Drive, or similar and post the sharing link here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"The pics were shot in Black and white. Jpg format" As @GoldingD asks, make sure you are not shooting in RAW as well as JPG. RAW is coloured regardless of the camera settings which produce the JPG. The camera settings for B&W would be for the JPG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the original photos in camera RAW or JPEG?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 25, 2021 Dec 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Lightroom cannot convert a B&W jpg to color. The only explanation I can think of is that you did not shoot in jpg, but in raw. You then imported these images with 'Embedded & sidecar' previews. That means that Lightroom is showing you the images using the camera-generated previews, and if your camera was set to B&W those previews will be B&W. When you export the images however, Lightroom will render a new jpg image from the raw data, and the default develop settings will be a color image.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines