• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My image loses sharpness when I export more than once

New Here ,
Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I export a photo more than once, I notice the image loses sharpness. I am aware that resaving the image in JPEG can reduce the image quality but still does this even if I export it under a different name. I am unsure why this is?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you export the first time, do you then import or include the exported photo back into the catalog?

When you export the second time, do you use the same settings in the Export dialog box?

What software are you using to view the exported photos?

Can you show us screen captures of the first export and the second export? (Use the "Insert Photos" icon to include the screen captures in your reply. Do not attach files)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I just export my image into my gallery on my pc.

On my second export, it depends what I want to do with my images as I had to create smart previews and move my raw files and back the catalog to an external hard drive to save space on my pc. Here are my settings I use for print:

export settings (print).png

For web, I pretty much use the same settings apart from giving the file a custom name and change output sharpening to Screen>Standard or High (not entirely sure if it makes a difference).

For viewing my images I just use Windows' default setting.

Here are the first and second exports respectively, one for web and the other for print:

first export.png

second export.png

I'm not sure if it shows up very well but there is a slight dip in sharpness in the second image. Thought I would also mention that for the second image I did link my external hard drive so that I could retrieve the full original file so that I could export the full resolution file instead of just exporting the smart preview.

Thank you for your reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As stated by @TheDigitalDog please show us both photos at 1:1 (or 100% zoom).

You shouldn't have to "... I had to create smart previews and move my raw files and back the catalog to an external hard drive to save space on my pc." It seems like you are saying you are not using the same original on both exports, it seems like one is exported from the RAW and one is exported from a Smart Preview. If so, I can't understand why you would expect the same sharpness from both.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you actually read my last post properly I had to move my raw files and my lightroom catalog to an external hard drive as it was slowing down my pc, hence why I had to create smart previews and move my original stuff onto an external hard drive otherwise I needn't had bothered in the first place.

Yes, you are correct that one export is a smart preview and the other is from the original file. The smart preview is for the web and to my eye looks sharp, an image for the web doesn't need alot of resolution for the image to appear sharp. 

The second export is the full original file that has lost sharpness. That is kind of my point

Also I wasn't asked to upload both photos at 1:1...

Here are both photos at 1:1 ratio; one sharp, the second not sharp:

export 1 100 zoom.pngexport 2 100 zoom.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you actually read my last post properly I had to move my raw files and my lightroom catalog to an external hard drive as it was slowing down my pc, hence why I had to create smart previews and move my original stuff onto an external hard drive otherwise I needn't had bothered in the first place.

I read it, running out of hard disk space and "had to create smart previews" don't go together. There are other (and better) solutions.

Anyway, I am not seeing a loss of sharpness.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I can see them very clearly.

If you have got "other (and better solutions)" then you are more than welcome to share this informative piece of information.

Good day to you

Peace out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have got "other (and better solutions)" then you are more than welcome to share this informative piece of information.

When you move photos from one disk to another, you should do it so that the photos stay linked in Lightroom Classic's catalog, and then you won't need to export from Smart Previews, or move photos back to the internal disk. This document has all the details: www.computer-darkroom.com/lr2_find_folder/find-folder.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be sure you view the two options at 1:1 (100%) zoom or greater when evaulating this kind of work. Plus, the only accurate module to preview this data is in Develop, again at 1:1 or greater. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your Export module screenshot showing the print settings you have Output Sharpening set to Matte Paper High, which is the highest sharpening setting. Then you say:

"For web, I pretty much use the same settings apart from giving the file a custom name and change output sharpening to Screen>Standard or High (not entirely sure if it makes a difference)."

That is what's causing the difference in image sharpness you are seeing. The Screen sharpening settings provide less sharpening than the Glossy and Matte Paper settings. The order of sharpening amount is Standard (lowest), followed by Glossy Paper, and then Matte Paper (highest). Try it for yourself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The output sharpening to print isn't at all visisble in Lightroom Classic Todd. But you raise a good point that the OP may be viewing a sharpened (in Develop that is visisble) and exporting using different sharpening for print or screen as well and thus, the disconnect in the two previews. The output sharpening (print) is of course seen on the exported image itself but not in LR.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Andrew his screenshots are of the actual exported JPEG files as viewed in Windows Photo application. He uses one for printing with Matte Paper High Output Sharpening and the other one for Web posting with Screen Standard or High Output Sharpening. Here's an example of two exported files resized to 2560 Long Edge with Screen Standard and Matte Paper High Output Sharpening at 100% Zoom View in LrC. The difference is pretty obvious.

IMG_0154_Output Sharpening Test.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines