My lightroom classic will not open, it freezes on my loading screen

New Here ,
May 06, 2021 May 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has any one had issues with their lightroom getting stuck on the load screen?Screen Shot 2021-05-06 at 8.47.53 PM.png

TOPICS
Crash or freeze, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2021 May 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue for me. LrC opens but after that it freezes. It was working fine before the last upgrade.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2021 May 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same issue for me too. how did you solve the problem?

thank you!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When Lightroom Classic freezes, first thing to try is resetting your preferences:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/setting-preferences-lightroom.html 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The splash screen is stuck on Reading preferences, which indicates that the preferences are corrupted, and will need to be reset.

If you're on Windows,  open the task manager, and make sure that Lightroom is not running in the background.

Then click the shortcut to launch Lightroom, and immediately press Shift + Alt, and this dialog will appear. (might just be flashing in the taskbar) Click Yes.

image_2021-05-10_212910.png

For Mac, I qoute from from this page: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/preference-file-and-other-file-locations.html

It appears that you need to delete the preferences manually first,

File locations in macOS

Note: The user Library file is hidden by defaultr. For temporary access to the user Library file, press Option and choose Go > Library in the Finder.

The Lightroom Classic application file /Applications/Adobe Lightroom Classic/Adobe Lightroom Classic.app

Preferences

• Lightroom Classic: /Users/[username]/Library/Preferences/com.adobe.LightroomClassicCC7.plist

On macOS, after you delete the above file, restart your computer, then relaunch Lightroom Classic while holding the shift + option. In the dialog, select Reset Preferences.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you for your help, I did all you suggest but it doesn't seem to
work: after I re-run Lightroom the splash screen is still stuck on "reading
preferences" with the rainbow wheel (MacOs) running...

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 11, 2021 May 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you reboot your computer after deleting the prefs file?

You may also find the instructions given here clearer:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2021 May 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, I did. I also followed the instructions you suggest, but nothing happened.

I asked Adobe support, and they told me my system (MacOS Sierra) is too old and must be upgraded.

hopefully so...

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi everybody! After I upgraded to MacOS Big Sur, nothing changes: Lightroom still stuk on the splash screen with "reading preferences". I followed again all your instructions, without success...

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines