• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My Lightroom is not showing my external hard drive as a 'source' when I go to import

New Here ,
Jan 12, 2022 Jan 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have always used my external hard drive to import/edit and store all my photographs. I have some new photos to import into lightroom but when i go to 'import' the external hard drive is no longer showing as a source. I have tried ejecting and re plugging in, but still it is not showing. 

When i am in 'library' the external hard drive is there and i can view all the folders and images, it is just when i go to 'import' it does not show it. Any advice would be great. thanks! 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a start, please post screenshots of what you see in the Import window and what you see in Finder / File Explorer showing the connected drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post those screen shots by clicking on the "Insert Photos" icon. Do not attach files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

About your Operating System (OS)

• What Operating System?
  • What version?
  • When did you upgrade it last?
  • What was the previous version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do post a screenshot, but in the meantime I will make an educated guess and post a screenshot myself. My guess is that you are not only not telling us which version of Lightroom you use and which OS, but also not that you upgraded your OS recently (and you use MacOS). In recent versions of MacOS you have to give Lightroom permission to access certain folders and disks.

A3C151CA-B51D-447C-BC6D-C2C2EB582883.png

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My operating system is Catalina 10.15.7, I upgraded it recently from Mojave. 

Here are the screenshots:

• an image of the finder window showing my hardrive is plugged in

• the 'navigator' column in lightroom showing that my hardrive is connected 

• the import window showing the available sources (my 'jessie' hard drive not showing) 

 

1CD22165-6C23-4F7B-858F-2C370A17372C.jpeg

ABF56849-E385-4B34-B8BB-CE394523626A.jpeg

 

2C319BAE-AED8-44B5-BD4A-C3165495D627.png

 

thank you 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitely follow the screenshot posted by Johan and check LR's permissions to access Files And Folders. It would be a little curious that LR has enough permissions to display the volume and its current space in the Folder panel but not in the Import window, and display My Book in both places, but such is life with Mac OS permissions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great. Thanks for the advice all, I'll try checking the permissions 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines