• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My new computer will not open Lightroom Classic? Can not open Lightroom creative cloud either?

New Here ,
Mar 12, 2023 Mar 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Used Lightroom for at least 14 years or when ever it was available new?    Now with my new computer I can not open any form of Lightroom.  It is through Lightroom that I have any income at all, but now I guess I'm out of business?  Reading all those notes on how to move forward or uninstall and start over is mind boggling?  Hoping that a new product with all the Lightroom changes, and my new Desktop... I was thinking those two would help my business to get a jump start this year?   Feeling helpless without Lightroom after 14 years of it working on old computers.  Now with this new one... It's all gone wrong?   Jack

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did see a choice of windows so I clicked on that where they had listed 3 or 4 words.. I did not know anything else to click on but the windows name... so that's what I had attmepted to do when I was writing about my concerns. Thanks  Using a new Best Buy Geek Squad computer designed for photographers   I have windows 11, but I'm still using the windows 10 at this time as this new computer came with a need for me to purchase W. 11. ?    Thanks for trying to assist... I saw where some people were saying to go to the app store and buy your creative cloud app.... not to use the one from Microsoft.  I know very little about any aspect of a computer.  Not even sure where my programs are to remove my Lightroom products... as some say go to the store and get it from there.. But some are showing all sorts of things like how to remove Creative Cloud.  Everything muddies the water with so many opinions...  Simply out of business at this time.  Because of Lightroom problems and my inabiltiy to know how to escape from these issues. ?  Jack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.. at this point I thought I was using CC with the new compter...but as I see I never had either one of them work at this time.  I was trying to hopefully  use what most of the photographers preferred.  Seems now they preferred CC.. and I still don't know which is which with all the C's involved.  Today I see that they are calling Classic as so Classic CC , but when I saw one was listed as Creative Cloud..then I was assured that now this must be CC with a name like Creative Cloud.... other places I see Lightroom listed as a choice, then the others are either called Lightroom CC or Lightroom Classic.. which some call this latter one Classic to also be CC?     I'm not good with plan English, not sure what to do with 2 choices sometimes called or referred to with both names?     I'm so out of touch with what I can do. I've had Photoshop leave me waiting on the phone for 3 hours, when they said at first it may take 45 min. Then 3 hours later they disconnected. ?   So what in the world choices do we have now?  Do I have to give up on Lightroom after 14 years of use??  Geez?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you can see I never am sure about the two names. Most of the time when someone is writing about these 2 versions...they either call one 'Lightroom', and the other Classic.   With the two C's in creative cloud LR... you would think that would be CC, but they too call Classic CC???  It remains confusing when references are not always clear?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Do you still have the old computer, and is Lightroom still on it? If so, launch Lightroom, click on Help, click on System Info, copy the first 5 lines, and paste into a reply. Looking to verify what application, and what version you are coming from.

2. In your new computer, accomplish the same thing, copy and paste the similar info into your reply. Looking to confirm actual app and version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try.. I bought the new one because I knew little about my old one that was purchased used about 5 years ago... It had a faulty graphics card... which I did not know was very simple to remove, but there were other things internally I was suppose to do before I removed it for replacement. So with no interest to pay at Best Buy I finally ordered one equiped for a photographer?    I will try to accomplish what you have recommended!  Thank YOU!  Jack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My sincere apologies for taking so long. I found it and copied it to my phone as it was a tiny little box and too difficult for me to read. It would not zoom in closer?  I tried to send it to myself over an email... and it comes up error each time I try.  So all I have is a phone photo... Seems I had tried to update or did update it March 11TH... not worked on anything there as I always get a warning about my graphics card failures...and they always say it may bet much worse? ... so I do not use that Lightroom upgraded or not.    INFO:  Lightroom Classic verson 12.2.1{

202303011008-5bfbce17}

License: Creative Cloud

Operating system windows 10-Business

Version :10.0.19045   This apparently is what I was using(now with a recent upgrade I've not used so far.    Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool, now that LrC v12.2.1 has been verified on the new computer. Can you repeat the acquisition of the system information as LrC reports it, but this time I will ask for more info. And this time a simple copy and paste, no need to attempt a screen capture or photo.

In LrC, once again click on Help. then System Info. Click on Copy. Normally I would ask you to paste the info into a reply BUT to just include the info from first line down to and including plug-ins. But go ahead and just paste it all in if you are more comfortable with that .

Info will look like:

Lightroom Classic version: 12.2 [ 202302032259-eb84d255 ]
License: Creative Cloud
Language setting: en
Operating system: Windows 10 - Business Edition
Version: 10.0.19045
Application architecture: x64
System architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 8
Processor speed: 4.0GHz
SqLite Version: 3.36.0
CPU Utilisation: 1.0%
Built-in memory: 16317.1 MB
Dedicated GPU memory used by Lightroom: 4321.6MB / 8073.0MB (53%)
Real memory available to Lightroom: 16317.1 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 1945.2 MB (11.9%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 7401.6 MB
GDI objects count: 775
USER objects count: 2556
Process handles count: 4060
Memory cache size: 13.8MB
Internal Camera Raw version: 15.2 [ 1381 ]
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2
Camera Raw virtual memory: 723MB / 8158MB (8%)
Camera Raw real memory: 969MB / 16317MB (5%)
System DPI setting: 96 DPI
Desktop composition enabled: Yes
Standard Preview Size: 2560 pixels
Displays: 1) 2560x1440
Input types: Multitouch: No, Integrated touch: No, Integrated pen: Yes, External touch: No, External pen: Yes, Keyboard: No

Graphics Processor Info: 
DirectX: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti (31.0.15.2849)
Init State: GPU for Export supported by default
User Preference: GPU for Export enabled

Application folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom Classic
Library Path: W:\Active Projects\Photography\test\test-v12.lrcat
Settings Folder: C:\Users\goldi\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom

Installed Plugins: 
1) AdobeStock
2) Aurora HDR
3) ColorChecker Camera Calibration
4) DxO PhotoLab 5
5) DxO PhotoLab 5 Importer
6) HDR Efex Pro 2
7) Helicon Focus Export
8) Iridient X-Transformer
9) jf Bag-o-Goodies
10) jf Extended Search
11) jf Metadata Viewer
12) jf Metadata Wrangler
13) jf System Info
14) Loupedeck
15) Luminar 4
16) ON1 Effects 2023
17) ON1 HDR 2023
18) ON1 NoNoise AI 2023
19) ON1 Photo RAW 2023
20) ON1 Portrait AI 2023
21) ON1 Resize AI 2023
22) Plugin Parameters
23) SmugMug
24) Topaz Photo AI

Note that I managed to clean the inf above by pasting into Notepad, then copying only the sections shown above (i.e. not all the gobbledygook after plugins) but if you are not comfortable with those extra steps, go  ahead and just paste it all in.

Mostly interested In CPU info, RAM info,GPU Info, Library path, and any odd plug-ins (probably a-lot simpler than above )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So sorry... Not working out so well for me... nothing seems to highlight to copy...I know nothing about notepad.... but can not highlight anything that usuallyinvoives selecting to post somewhere.   Now I'm not sure how I selected part of it last time.   But neither can I determine exactly where to stop with my efforts to copy if I could make such a selection again?   Last time I was able to highlight what I was going to share. Now I know little about where to stop with all that I copy if that feature can work again?  My apologies!!  ?  Wish I knew or could access exactly what you requested.... Not sure why it does not highlight this time...   Thanks for all you determine efforts to help a dummy!  PapaJ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Perhaps a video (attached) on selecting the system info, copying it, then pasting it into a reply (right click)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Application name FUBAR

The confusion about the various applications, the use or non use of CC, and the use of words like classic, desktop, ecosystem, cloudy. Are all Adobe marketing faults.

The original application, at one time called Adobe Photoshop Lightroom, then Adobe Lightroom, or just Lightroom, migrated to lightroom CC when Adobe stopped selling it on a CD, and moved selling to the cloud, the creative cloud. When they still called it Lightroom CC they decided to pull the mobile media component out of it, and created a product meant for the smartphone set, a cloud based version (as in keeping images and a album on the cloud). Marketing genius's (not) named the new product Lightroom. Opps, what about the old computer based (photos and catalog on the computer), ah that became Lightroom Classic. (I have skipped/forgot a few steps, a few names)

So we had Lightroom, now we have Lightroom, and Lightroom Classic. We no longer have CC. 

Oh, and now Adobe refers to the two products as Lightroom Ecosystem (Cloud Based) And Lightroom Classic. This product has the icon Lr

And the Lightroom Ecosystem (Cloud Based) moniker also refers to various mobile media spin-offs. Adobe sometimes refers this Lightroom as Lightroom Desktop (just to confuse us?). Many members refer to it as Lightroom Cloudy, Some of us old farts refer to it as LrPOS.

The old perpetual Lightroom, that for a time was Lightroom CC, is now Lightroom Classic, icon LrC.

If you look at Adobe for one of the subscription plans, you will see a Lightroom Plan. That one leads many into paying for the wrong plan. It only includes Lightroom Desktop a.k.a. Cloudy, a.k.a Lightroom Ecosystem.

If you look at Adobe for a Lightroom Classic only plan, you will find none. Instead look at the Photography Plan (PS, Lr, LrC, Bridge, ACR)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow... all that you just tried to explain to a dummy is way too hard for me to even attempt to understand all you presented to me... what (a beyond us MAZE that is)??  Hope you do not need to say all of that again... seems it (may all change again) before your finished!!?  As Imentioned... not sure if I can find my programs to remove any that may be needed to once get back to the photography Plan you recommended.  I had been wondering what they may be charging me now since I do not know anything about what I am doing, but if you recommend that Iuninstall everything please let me know...or if I leave the old computer as it is:   go get a new graphics card..and continue on with my work...I can take it all off of the new computer for now... If I can do it with out a hitch?   Later go back to the new one...and do it all right the first time (What ever right means)?     So is my system info OK as it is:  there within the old computer?   Even though I just upgraded on the 11TH?      I'm certainly ready to do exactly as you say to get my world functioning again!    Thanks for all of the time involved with assisting me.  So very grateful for your attempting to speak with a guy that knows very little.  About all I have is apparently a OK 'eye'... nothing much else like the mind or other meant to be attributes function so well?   Please share your final recomendation and I'll try to get it done!!!  THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!  Greatly appreciated!  PapaJ

Wow.. 16 years ago... Papa's grand-daughter is now 18. 🙂 Drivers License test was today! ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not a problem, and nothing to un-install, re-install. Sounds like you have the Photography plan, and an issue with how vastly different your old Lightroom is to the Lightroom Ecosystem is not the problem.

As for what you are paying for, what plan. This is easily easy to confirm. One way as follows

On your computer, you should have an application called the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop App. Also called Adobe Creative Cloud. Icon looks like:

1.png

If you open that, You will see something like:

2.png

If you click on your account icon, top right, and select Adobe Account. The Adobe.com page will launch with you logged in. And you will see what Plan(s) you are paying for.

3.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And as for old computer to new computer, and why LrC appears to not be accomplishing what you want.

Is your issue one where LrC on the new computer is not bringing up your old catalog, your old photos?

Or can you clarify what is not working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

COMPARE LIGHTROOM & LIGHTROOM-CLASSIC FEATURES

"Used Lightroom for at least 14 years" - So Lightroom-CLASSIC v12.2.1 is the App you need!

"Creative Cloud" is only the method to licence and install your Adobe Apps using the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop App.

To obtain Lightroom-CLASSIC  you MUST have the PHOTOGRAPHY PLAN (20GB  us$9.99)  (And NOT the Lightroom Plan.!)

Your 'old' Lightroom Versions 1-6 catalog/s will simply upgrade when you 'Open' them with Lightroom-CLASSIC.

2023-03-13 09_46_02-Clipboard.jpg

In this link https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/photography.html when you click the [Buy] button- look for-

2023-03-13 09_49_49-Window.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines