• English
      • Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers

Need help: Is there any way to recover presets if they weren't saved to a hard drive?

New Here ,
Sep 24, 2022 Sep 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am in quite a pickle. I recently sold my old mac and forgot to backup my presets onto my external hard drive. When I downloaded lightroom classic onto my new mac I now do not have anywhere to download my old presets from. Is there any way to recover the presets I had on my old mac and download them to my new one? Again, I did not save them toi an externla hard drive. I do not know if adobe may have some cloud based place they may be saved at? Please let me know ASAP what you think.

Thank You,

Samuel

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 24, 2022 Sep 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom-Classic does not store Presets in the Cloud by default.

If you did not use Time Machine, or another backup process to 'save' your Presets, then you are SOL.

FILE LOCATIONS

A possibility is- IF you installed Lightroom v5.5 (the Cloud Version) on the 'old' computer then the Develop Presets may have synced to the Cloud version and could be recovered from there.

I make a point of storing a copy of all my Presets (User, downloaded, purchased) in a {Documents} folder that gets backed up regularly, and can be re-installed if required. And a copy of Presets in my {Creative Cloud Files} folder, that will store them in the Cloud.

Regards. My System: Lr-Classic 12.0.1 Photoshop 24.0.1, ACR 15.0, Lightroom 6.0, Lr-iOS 8.0.8, Bridge 13.0, Windows-11.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 25, 2022 Sep 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A possibility is- IF you installed Lightroom v5.5 (the Cloud Version) on the 'old' computer then the Develop Presets may have synced to the Cloud version and could be recovered from there.

Not possible, Rob. Classic does not sync presets to the cloud, they would have to have been separately imported into Lightroom in order for them to be in the cloud. If they HAVE been imported into Lightroom, however, they can be exported from there (one at a time, I think) for subsequent import into LrClassic. They would also be stored in the Local Library, so it might be possible to copy them from there (they would be xmp files and their names would be a string of alphanummeric characters, so difficult to identify specific presets without opening them in a text editor/viewer).

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for clarification @Jim Wilde re Presets (LrC > Lr).

My memory must be failing as I do not remember how I achieved to have my Develop preset groups mirrored in both LrC and Lr. (I know I could not have done it one-by-one import!).

Screen-clips from- 1) Lr  2) LrC:

2022-09-26 08_56_24-Window.jpg2022-09-26 08_56_32-Window.jpg

But for the OP @sam262773414np3  I believe they are lost.

Regards. My System: Lr-Classic 12.0.1 Photoshop 24.0.1, ACR 15.0, Lightroom 6.0, Lr-iOS 8.0.8, Bridge 13.0, Windows-11.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Although you can only Export one by one, you can Import multiple presets at once from a folder into Lightroom.  

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines