Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need to reset LRC -- Windows blue spinning donut when I open LRC

Explorer ,
Jun 28, 2021 Jun 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LRC starts up and does not respond. 

For several days, I've had space crunch on my C: and D: drives running LRC.  I shoot a ton and drives are filling up.  I have attached an external WD usb 5tb drive, and moved library (image) folders to the other drive using LR.  Shortly I started getting lengthy pauses when processing or moving files (in LRC), and some file operations started failing. For example, moving a grou of files (in LRC), and randomly some files would not move.  Checking for the original, the file is there, and I just move it individully.  This started happening EVERY move operation.

OK, I have another computer ordered, but where I live there are no computers in t=the stores -- 30-day wait for delivery.

I am stuck.  I process 4000+ (50mb) images a week, and my 2nd computer is a waste.

So right now, LRC .exe executable runs from C:.  Most image data (and LR catalog) on D: which fills up quickly.  So I use external USB drive F: for importing now, and LRC catalog on D: points to D: and F: appropriately for the image files.  I've done this process for years and had no problem till the last 2 weeks or so.

Is there a simple and foolproof way to move all image data and catalogs (and previews, etc) to one external drive and then remove and reload LRC?  

Is there another way to reset this error state and not risk getting catalog confused or images out of pocket?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, those D: faces mean D-drive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MTNShootR_0-1624929403362.png

this is immediately upon starting LRC, and it never fully starts!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my opinion, there is no reason to uninstall/reinstall Lightroom. I don't believe you would accomplish anything by doing that. MY solution, if I was facing the dilemma you are facing would be to COPY your entire image library to the external hard drive using your system browser (File Explorer or Finder). Then I would open LrC and go to the library module and highlight the top most folder and right-click on it and choose the option to update the folder location, and point to that folder location on the external hard drive and select it. That will link Lightroom to the images on the external hard drive, and once that is done you can remove the images on the internal hard drive. Like I said, that is the way I would do it. If you don't have your images arranged under one master folder then it will be necessary to update the folder location for as many folders as needed to get the job done.

But the problem is that apparently your internal hard drive is so full that Lightroom cannot function properly. You need to always have a minimum of 20% of a hard drive free to be able to process data. From what you describe, you don't have that free space available. So you're going to have to copy or even move the images from the internal hard drive to the external hard drive and then do the update folder location process after the images have been moved because, right now, the hard drive is so full that Lightroom can't even grab enough space to start the program. Anyway, think about the process and good luck. Sounds like you have created a real bottleneck for yourself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Jim that makes sense.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines