Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

New imported raw file overwrites existing file

New Here ,
Jul 30, 2021 Jul 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a very strange thing happen. After I imported raw files into one of my folders many of the newly imported images replaced previously imported photos, including the metadata. The older pictures are all gone and overwritten with a newer photo, both in LR as well as on the harddrive. I could literally watch the images change on the computer screen.

Can anyone explain, please. Looks like the older files are all lost, but I want to avoid this form happening again.

I have attached 2 photos to show the screen before and after this overwrite.

IMG_70C9C59127AC-1.jpegIMG_9C7FC7ECD794-1.jpeg

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There seems to be a filter applied to show images with one star. Could that filter possibly be causing some confusion?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your original files are lost only if you don't have backups, or don't have the files still on the camera card.

How is it possible you have a screen capture from before this happened?

Your screen captures are too small for me to confirm that files have been overwritten, becuase the text of the file name is just impossible to read.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your images posted look identical. Nothing shown to indicate the file selected is different top vs bottom.

I see two pics if a Library module screen, both in grid view. I see many photos in the grid, many in the filmstrip. I see that one particular file is selected. What I do not see, in either grid or filmstrip, is a thumbnail of the selected photo.

So, how is the photo different?

/FOLLOWUP/UPDATE/

So, screenshots way to hard to read text. But, are those pictures of a Bear, or is that a Cow? In top image, apparently a set of the animal, one after another. In the second image, some water in between. Can not make out file names.

before.png

vs.

after.png

Is that what you are referring to?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those two images you posted. Taken via a camera? Not a good way to create a screenshot. MACOS? Link on how to take a screenshot on MACOS using what Apple has provided:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201361

hmm, maybe this one is better:

https://setapp.com/how-to/screenshot-on-mac

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cannot read the file names, but a suspicion (that a better screenshot may shoot down)

CanNotRead.png

Did you alter the capture timeof any photos?

Are you sure that photos with same names as previpous exist, or is this just a sorting glitch?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Importing images will NEVER overwrite files you already have in Classic. At worst what will happen is that Classic recognizes that you already have the files you are trying to import and either not import them or if you allow importing duplicates in the import panel, it will rename the new imports by adding a -2 to the names. It is much more likely that you are misinterpreting what you are looking at. In fact the screenshots seem to indicate that everything that was there before is still there but that the images are interspersed with new images apparently captured around the same time (or only apparently so because the camera clock was off or capture time has been changed on one set).

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

deleated, my bad, wrong post, mutiple replys.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

deleated

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

deleated

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines