• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New Laptop help

Participant ,
Mar 20, 2022 Mar 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With my old laptop I had my catalog on an external hard drive.  I just purchased a new Macbook Pro and downloaded Lightroom Classic, but I don't know how to connect the catalaog I was using. Do I export all the pictures from my old laptop and then import them into the new? Please help! Thank you.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kate!

With your new laptop, what is your ideal situation to be working with LR? Do you have room for all your pictures? do you still want to connect to your external drive? etc. Let us know and we can help guide you on what may be a good way to setup up access on your new machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris 486,

I have 1 TB of storage. I mostly take pictures of jewelry for my etsy store. I delete the photo's I don't like so I am not keeping everything I import. I am open to sugesstions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 21, 2022 Mar 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It'll really come down to personally preference on how you want to work. 

I personally like to keep the catalogues on my actual computer and my work files are seperate. You can just copy and paste your catalogue from your old computer to your new one and open in lightroom.

How to create and manage catalogs in Photoshop Lightroom Classic (adobe.com)

If you decide to move your photos as well, you can just move them and re-point them in LRc as well.

How to find missing photos in Photoshop Lightroom Classic (adobe.com)

It's pretty straight forward overall. You can just move whatever you want to your new laptop and open the catalogue and re-point eh pictures tot heir new locations. ***As always, please have a backup of your files before you start to move or copy anything in teh event it gets accidetnailyl deleted somewhere. Then you'll still be able to have the backup copy to pull from.***

Hope that helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Chris 486 

I have followed the directions in the links you provided. I was able to put the catalog on my external drive on my new laptop. I was able to open the catatlog but everything has a ?  next to it. I tried to follow the direction but when I clicked "Find Missing Folder" it opened a window to link it and I did not know what to do at this pointScreen Shot 2022-03-23 at 1.33.55 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-03-23 at 1.38.28 PM.png.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To fix the question mark icons, see (particularly Figure 4) https://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr2_find_folder/find-folder.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 25, 2022 Mar 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK I am extremly thick headed. When I choose find missing photo (or folder) It takes me to a finder window. But I have no idea where these files are.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What other files can I get rid of?Screen Shot 2022-03-20 at 12.27.14 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can obtain a free digital book on how to move to a new computer. There lots of additional information available there.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/free-downloads/

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still very stuck. Please help. I have followed the instructions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Provide info on what you have achieved and what you are not able to perform.

Is LrC installed on the new computer?

Have you successfully image files and folders structure to the new computer?

What about the latest Catalog and support data files?

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I screwed this up from the start. I had LRC working on an external hard drive. The I got the new computer and I copied the LRC files and put them in a different folder on the external hard drive. On my new computer I made a folder under pictures called Lightroom and I put the copies in this folder. I opened the catalog that is on my new computer and the pictures seem to be there but they all have ?  I tried to follow the instructions above and failed. To make matters worse I took the copied light room files and put the back where they were on the external drive. I realize I am in over my head. But I use LRC to edit photos for my business. I am not proficient with Lightroom, I do the best I can. I just need to get things working again. Thank you for any help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That ? Indicates Lightroom Classic Catalog, has lost connection with the location of the folders and files, see the link below for help.

https://lightroomers.com/tutorial-reconnecting-folders-and-photos-in-lightroom-2/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 26, 2022 Mar 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just did this. I found the file by using the path that it says the last place a photo was stored. When I click on the photo it deletes everything in that folder. I am attching a screen print. The folder says paperclip.Screen Shot 2022-03-26 at 11.03.39 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 26, 2022 Mar 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think I got this. It just created a new paperclip folder not where the old one is.

Is there away to move these photo files of my external hard drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines