• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New version of the lightroom Desktop software, update of the L6 vesrion?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2022 Sep 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there or will there be an update for the Desktop version of lightroom beyond the L6 version? a version which would be self contained and would operate from a personal computer (NOT CC). Thanks

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The last update to Lightroom 6 (activated with serial number) was released in December 2017 and Adobe stated at that time that there would be no further updates.

Lightroom Classic is the successor to Lightroom 6 and is only available via a subscription paid annually or monthly with the Photography Plan.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, this is what I had understood. My question is: is there no second thought? Lightroom Classic (which i understand is now the name given to the CC version of lightroom (?)) requiares large amount of Cloud space, which is costly. Am I the only one here who wishes that there would be a second though on behalf of Adobe, in favor of an updated version of lightroom desktop? Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic does not necessarily require a "large" amount of Cloud space the basic plan has 20 GB.

LrC (Classic) stores original images on your computer. If you sync to the Creative Cloud from LrC smart previews are sent to storage and do not utilize any of storage allocation.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, Lightroom Classic does not need a large amount of cloud space, and you can work without cloud space. 

Lightroom (cloud based) needs cloud space, uploads your files into the cloud, and allows you to work from any point in the world. I personally use Lightroom Classic and do not have Lightroom (desktop, the cloud based software) installed on my computers. I have around 4 to 5 Tb of photo data. That's the main reason.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the release of the final version of LR6 (Vs. 6.14.1) in Dec. 2017, five major editions of the program's successor, Lightroom Classic, have been issued and the current one is called LRC 11.5. It is entirely self-contained (unlike the parallel cloud based app called simply "Lightroom"). LRC can be obtained by enrolling to one of the Adobe subscription plans.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LRC needs no cloud space. All photo files are stored at home. As for the subscription model - second, third and fourth thoughts ran out years ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that version of Lightroom is now called Lightroom Classic. It works the same as Lightroom 6 with all data local. Lightroom Classic is part of the Photography plan. https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/photography/compare-plans.html 

All those plans also incude Lightroom (the cloud based program), but you do not need to use that. If you do not use Lightroom, the Lr Ps Photography plan with 20g of cloud space is for you. 

And if you ask it: there is no plan without cloud space, and no, for Lightroom Classic you do not need to use cloud space, even that yo can synchronize previews to the cloud, to work those on an iPad, and sync back the result later into your Lightroom Classic database.

In the meantime, there are many new features, especially with masking, presets etc, new supported cameras and lenses, that an upgrade makes sense. And you get in addition a full fledged Photoshop, allowing you to do all the things, Lightroom can not yet do. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to all for all this, most useful!

I would add that beyond all new features described above (masking, presets, new supported cameras and lenses...) one of the most useful features is the "intersect" button which selctively applies changes, taking local masking into account!

Yet what i understand is that all the new plans (after the LR6 (Vs. 6.14.1) in Dec. 2017) are based on monthly payments, there is no option to "permanently buy" a version of LRC 11.5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, there is no "permanent" buy, and there won't be a perpetual license. Either you pay on the month, or you pay on the year (with some discount). But all plans here are for a year, and get renewed automatically if not cancelled before. 

All in all, it does not cost me more, than the perpetual licenses I have, and that I upgrade from time to time.

And waiting for Adobe to wind back to perpetual licences is lost pain. Adobe won't do that, as the subscription model is highly successful. IMHO, it is also economical for professional users. May be less for the hobbyist, who buys software each 10 years or so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Perfectly clear,

Many Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines