• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Nikon/Nikkor Z lens profile correction: cannot select correct lens

Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2022 Jan 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure if this problem is caused by layer 7 or 8, so I selected "discussion" rather than "bug".

I just got a Nikon Z6 II. The pictures of the first couple of events all had the correct lens profile (Z 50 mm f/1.8 S and Z 24-70 mm f/2.8 S) assigned to the pictures - profile corrections enabled in the develop module. The profiles were all listed as "camera settings" - so far, so good.

The set of the most recent pictures, however, have two pictures that Lightroom is "unable to locate a matching profile automatically." These pictures were taken within one minute with a third one taken less than two minutes afterwards. This third one got the correct profile settings as expected. All pictures were taken with the same lens.

The exif data shows the correct camera and lens:

Screenshot 2022-01-30 222149.JPG

In the development module, enabling profile corrections does this:

Screenshot 2022-01-30 223136.JPGScreenshot 2022-01-30 223156.JPG

When I try to fix it manually by selecting "make" and "model", I get to choose from a total of seven lenses - none of which are Z lenses. Lightroom suggests the F-version of the 24-70mm f/2.8:

Screenshot 2022-01-30 223228.JPG

Just for reference, the next picture taken less than two minutes aftert the two "bugged" ones shows the correct profile. Also, wenn I try to select a differenct lens, I get dozens of lenses to choose from - more than can be shown at once:

Screenshot 2022-01-30 223259.JPGScreenshot 2022-01-30 223300..JPG

I read a few threads on this already including https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/nikon-z-lens-series-like-24-70-f4-lr-cl....

Unfortunately, resetting my preferences did not fix the problem for me.

I'm running LrC v 11.1, camera firmware version 1.30 which are both up to date. None of the files (.nef) were opened or modified by any other software but Lightroom.

Does anyone have an idea what might have caused two pictures to be treated differently than all the rest (dozens over several days)?

Is there a way I can "reset" the lens profile settings for those two pictures? I tried copying development settings from one of the other pictures, but it merely checks the box - the problem persists.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 30, 2022 Jan 30, 2022

"When I try to fix it manually by selecting "make" and "model", I get to choose from a total of seven lenses - none of which are Z lenses."

Most likely those two photos are not raws but JPEGs (or some other non-raw type) -- most lens profiles apply to raw files only.  In Develop, type "i" to show the file name in the upper-left corner.  There are many posts here of people mistakenly thinking they're editing raws (made easier since LR, by default, doesn't display the file type).

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jan 30, 2022 Jan 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"When I try to fix it manually by selecting "make" and "model", I get to choose from a total of seven lenses - none of which are Z lenses."

Most likely those two photos are not raws but JPEGs (or some other non-raw type) -- most lens profiles apply to raw files only.  In Develop, type "i" to show the file name in the upper-left corner.  There are many posts here of people mistakenly thinking they're editing raws (made easier since LR, by default, doesn't display the file type).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2022 Jan 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are absolutely right!

The problem was 100% user-created: The two pictures are JPEG - I had no idea.

Thinking back how two pictures can be JPEG when I only shoot RAW (.nef) and never entered the menu to change picture format, I also have the explanation:

When you take pictures in video mode, they are JPEG. Always. It doesn't matter if you are actually recording a video or not - as long as the camera mode is set to video, you will shoot JPEG.

Thank you for your quick and very accurate answer. You nailed it!

Shame on me for not noticing the file type in LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines