• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Nikon Z9 & Location Data

Explorer ,
Dec 01, 2022 Dec 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently purchased a Nikon Z9 and have not been able to see the location data (GPS) in the Lightroom Metadata section.  Accordingly, it does not give the map icon in the lower right of the thumbnail.  I have checked the location data in the custom preset.

I know the camera is picking up the location data because it is shown on the camera information.

I am saving files in NEF format.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have checked the location data in the custom preset.

By @CS5Ext Win8.1 Install

What does that mean? Checked has alternative meanings. Do you mean you have ensured that the metadata preset ("custom preset") is not applying GPS? Or have you ticked that box, even though its value is blank? The latter would apply blank values, overwriting any in-camera GPS.

You could probably do a Metadata > Read Metadata from File to bring in the GPS, though be careful if you've already done some work in LR on those images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello John,

Thank you for responding.  

After speaking with a representative from Nikon, I told them I was trying to have Lightroom to pick up the GPS information and they informed me that is not possible at this time.  They told me the GPS information is embedded into their proprietary software for creating the NEF files.  Making it visible for Lightroom, Windows or any other software is not possible for this reason.

So, continued discussion on this issue and the help you and others offered is greatly appreciated.  Perhaps the developers at Adobe can speak to the developers at Nikon to see if there is a way to make the GPS infomration visible without imposing on their proprietary programs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 02, 2022 Dec 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure I would trust what you appear to have been told by Nikon! It does sound a very Nikon thing to say - it's OK using our software, period. While they and other camera makers do store their own non-standard EXIF data in raw files (often called "MakerNotes"), usually this is information like the metering mode, focus point or stabilisation status (which naturally varies between camera makers and over time between models from the same manufacturer). GPS is rather different, and I would have expected it to be recorded in a standard way. I've never tried it on a Z9 which has built in GPS, but I have previously attached a Garmin device to my older Nikons, and its GPS data was read normally by LR.

What I suggest is that you examine one of these files outside LR, maybe a frame shot as a test and never imported. You could use many other apps, maybe even Finder/Explorer, but something like PhotoMechanic (trial) would do the job. You may not want to try Exiftool, but it would also dump the data.

For a file that is already in LR, the plugin http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/metadata-viewer would compare data in LR with what's in the file.

What happens when you select one of these files in LR and do Metadata > Read Metadata from Files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2023 Aug 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Z9 location metadata is VISIBLE for Lightroom to read. I'm just looking at it right now. What they said is not true. It is not invisible. Have you solved your problem by now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 03, 2023 Aug 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thank you for following up. Yes, I did see that.

Apologies for not notifying you about that.

Stay well and change your lens when needed!

Thank you.

Gary Altoonian
610.931.9506 (cell)

"Life is like a camera...focus on what's important
...capture the good times
...develop from the negatives
...and if things don't work out, take another shot."

www.altoonianphotography.com
Instagram - http://instagram.com/altoonian_photography
LinkedIn - http://www.linkedin.com/in/galtoonian
https://www.facebook.com/altoonianphotography/

Service Disabled Veteran Owned Small Business

Please consider your environmental responsibility before printing this
e-mail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines