Explorer ,
Mar 13, 2022 Mar 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running Lightroom 11.2, Windows v21H1.

I have a collecction of images.

I laid them out in the book module.

I did not save the book.

I came back to it later and made some changes to the layout of the book.

Now there is no "Save Book" button.

How do I save this layout?

Thanks

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did research this and found similar problems from 4 years ago in v8.

A suggested solutions was to reset the preferences.

Another was to uninstall and revert to the previous version.

Another was to revert and then reinstall the latest version.

I have tried these, and still have the same problem.

I can right click on the collection and use "Create Book", but that doesn't keep the layout already present.

I also tried a new collection with just a couple of pictures, opened the book module with auto import, and the "Save Book" button was there.

What I really need to do is save the layout of the book I have finished.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also purged the cache and reset it to 50 gigs, up from the default of 5 gigs.

Although, looking at that preference now, it says it is for camera raw.

I could not find any other cache settings or locations, but maybe I'm missing them.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a menu item Book->Create Saved Book. Thereafter, any edits made are automatically saved. (That's how a catalog operates, there is no specific Save command)

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some comments-

When you start a 'NEW' Book from the top Module Menu- You will see the tab [Create a Saved Book]

2022-03-14 08_09_35-Lightroom Catalog-v11 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Book.jpg

You must click on this tab to create a special type of Collection - I call it a "Saved Book Collection"

You can only see this tab ONCE when you start a 'new' book from the Module Menu.

A Saved Book Collection has an icon that looks like an open book.

Rob_Cullen_0-1647209568926.png

It is NOT a standard Collection.

It is NOT an original Collection of photos that you may have started with for the book.

Most Important!-  Now, every time you Re-open your Book to continue editing the pages and photos, you MUST only 'Open' the book by [Double-Clicking] on the Saved Book Collection or [Click] the white arrow at the end of the Saved Book Collection name.

Rob_Cullen_1-1647209923008.png

Do NOT use the top Module Menu from -  a Folder of images or a standard collection of photos. This will start a NEW Book- not preserving any previous Book editing.

As stated above- You do not need to  "Save" a book. When you work from the Saved Book Collection all your edits are automatically 'saved' in this special collection, in real time as you edit.

If you want to add more photos to your book- you use Library Grid view to add the extra photos to the Saved Book Collection where they appear on the book filmstrip.

In summary-

A) a NEW Book- start from the top Module Menu [Book]

B) a SAVED BOOK- re-open from the Saved Book Collection.

Regards. My System: Lr-Classic 11.3, Photoshop 23.3, ACR 14.3, Lightroom 5.3, Lr-iOS 7.0.2, Bridge 12.0.1, Windows-10.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rob for those specific directions. I will use those next time.

I am confused though as to why Adobe would let me layout, insert images and captions, change layouts, and make custom templates for this 100-page book, and let me save it as a PDF or JPEGs or to Blurb, and then not let me save it in Lightroom as a book.

In other words, Adobe let's me do everything without creating a saved book first, but then you can't save it after the work is done?

Why not just make it impossible to day anything in the BOOK MODULE without creating a saved book first?

I've been using Photoshop for 30 years. I'm new to Lightroom's Book Module however. In Photoshop, you can create a new file, work on it, and save it. You don't have to create a new file and immediately save it before you can work on if you want your work to be saved.

So after all of my work, even though absolutely everything is just sitting there ready to be saved, Lightroom Classic won't let me save it? And this is intentional?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Search through your Collections panel. Look for the 'Book' icon.

If you do not see a [Create Saved Book] tab above the book pages window then you must have saved it as a Book Collection! It must be in the Collections Panel somewhere (maybe 'hidden' in a Collection Set!)

The 'Saved Book Collection' IS YOUR SAVED BOOK. There is no Menu item to [Save]. [Saves] work automatically as you edit the book.

! BEST PAGE-How to Make a Photo Book

Consider resetting your Preferences file (after making a backup to restore) if my suggestions are not applying to your situation.

PREFERENCES RESET

Regards. My System: Lr-Classic 11.3, Photoshop 23.3, ACR 14.3, Lightroom 5.3, Lr-iOS 7.0.2, Bridge 12.0.1, Windows-10.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rob, I think you have helped me to understand what happened now. Thank you. Coming from Bridge and Photoshop, Lightroom is new to me. 

I  must have "saved a book" somewhere along the way.

But if the book was already there, and the changes are saved automatically, then why was a day's worth of changes not saved?

It's undoubtedly operator error on my part, I just don't want to repeat it.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"why was a day's worth of changes not saved?"

Maybe you (inadvertently) selected the photos (Folder or Collection) and used the top Module Menu for [Book]. This would have started a 'New' book-  it does not re-open any previous book work.

For a Book to be "already there" it has to be a Saved Book Collection that you can re-open.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 14, 2022 Mar 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Rob,  thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

Jerry

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines