• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Not enough matching for merge to HDR

Participant ,
Apr 30, 2021 Apr 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 77 stacks of 3 images shot with braketing -2, 0, +2 EV. Of the 77 sets 6 sets come up with a photomerge error saying there isn't enough matching image. As far as I can see they should be a perfect match. This is only happening to me with the latest 10.2 release of Lightroom.

I think I can also detect that of the ones that worked they appear to have more noise than I am used to seeing, but I haven't really investigated this thoroughly. 

I'm using the latest version of Lightroom Classic on the current build of Windows 10 at this point in time. 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"As far as I can see they should be a perfect match."

I suggest you post a bug report in the official Adobe feedback forum, where Adobe wants all bug reports and feature suggestions: 
https://www.lightroomqueen.com/send-bug-report-feature-request-adobe/

Be sure to include the first ten lines of the menu command Help > System Info.  Provide all the details, rather than linking back to this thread -- experience shows that Adobe developers tend not to follow the links.

Also, upload a sample set of three images to Dropbox or similar and include the sharing link, so that Adobe engineers can reproduce the problem.

Meanwhile, as a workaround you might try doing Photo > Edit In > Merge To HDR Pro In Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 01, 2021 May 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks John.. Will do. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 02, 2021 May 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Done. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am in agreement. When evcer i have merge issues, like HDR or pano I use the alternative Photo > Edit In > Merge To HDR Pro In Photoshop.

Try it and see if this works?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In these cases I can work without the HDR merge. I'm just reporting what I think is a change and a problem. I've literally done thousands of these before in Lightroom without encountering this issue.

But thanks for the suggestion it would definitely be a good workaround. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2023 Jan 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Peter.  I am experiencing the same exact issue.  I've also done thousands of these Lightroom merges without encountering this. 

Can't figure out what's different about this bracket.   https://gofile.io/d/z6ZjJx

The 0 and -2 EV files can merge, but any combination of the +2 EV file triggers the error.  Doesn't look out of focus to me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of the images in the bracket set may be too far under or over exposed causing the merge to fail. Try using just the 0 and +2 EV image files and then the 0 and -2 EV image files. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With Raw images from my A7rII I wouldn't expect this to happen and have never experienced it in the past, so I think something has changed.

But I'll try this and see what we learn from it. Thanks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, as suggested on the set I have linked to below in the thread, I tried the 0 and +2 and also the 0 and -2 EV images and they both failed with the same message. I also tried the -2 and +2 to cover all combinations and that failed in the same way. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upload one of the failing bracket sets to Dropbox and we can take a look at it for issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys,

Here is a link to one of the sets of three raws. http://gofile.me/4pxlh/KX7QO7Vtj

Having looked at the whole experience again there are two differences from my usual practice. (1) they are very high ISO and the images that have failed have quite a bit of noise. (2) for the variation in the exposures I had the ISO on Auto rather than the shutter speed which is my standard practice. So I think the resulting high noise from the high ISO may be the culprit. 
I would have hoped that the HDR process would have helped with noise reduction, which is one of the usual benefits.

Thanks to everyone making helpful suggestions. 🙂

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The bracket set you uploaded is out of focus and nothing in the picture has edge detail. Edge detail is required to 'Auto Align' the bracketed images. It appears you used a tripod so unchecking 'Auto Align' in LrC Photo Merge HDR works and produces good results, but of course still out of focus! Try using manual focus on a point about midway that has more detail such as the books on the left as shown below. Then recompose the shot and shoot the bracket set.

HDR - Out of Focus.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have uploaded another set of 3 images that failed. Files starting with P21042802775. These aren't out of focus. They are a little soft due to being shot at ISO up to 25,600 but I'm still surprised that Lr can't merge them. Same  link: http://gofile.me/4pxlh/KX7QO7Vtj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines