• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Nvidia or AMD for next video card?

Participant ,
Jun 18, 2021 Jun 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If/when/ever GPU prices ever return to normal again, I need to upgrade my ancient Nvidia GPU card.

For mostly Lightroom work, with a bit of Photoshop, does it matter which brand I get?

I have heard, or read somewhere, that Adobe favors/favored Nvidia cards over other brands for Lightroom development.  Any truth there?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 19, 2021 Jun 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to upgrade my ancient Nvidia GPU card. For mostly Lightroom work, with a bit of Photoshop, does it matter which brand I get?

May I ask what problem you hope to solve using this upgrade? Please be specific.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only 2 GB of VRAM.  Too little for Enhanced Details.  Too little for a 4K Display.  Also many DEVELOP operations very slow.  Despite having a new, very fast CPU (AMD 3900X), overall display operations can be quite slow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is  your current GPU?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GTX 66o Ti, very old.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure  how  dated this is, but..:

https://www.pugetsystems.com/recommended/Recommended-Systems-for-Adobe-Lightroom-Classic-141/Hardwar...

Probably not as dated as that GPU

Oh, and always go for more VRAM, as you know, VRAM can not be increased later on.

Also, you might want to consider PS GPU requirements as the ate typically higher than LrC as PS can leverage a GPU better than LrC.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/recommended/Recommended-Systems-for-Adobe-Photoshop-139/Hardware-Recomm...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was thinking of an NVidia 3060 or maybe a 3070, nothing more. I would like at least 8 GB of VRAM. Even at list pricing (which no one is using right now) at 3080 is more than I want to spend. 

Of course, I'm still interested in comments on the original post:  NVidia or AMD.  I'm interested in the comments from current users.  I have read (on gamer forums) that AMD drivers have improved a lot recently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 20, 2021 Jun 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have an NVidia GPU, and I have not had problems. Of course, there's no guarantee that anyone else will have my experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines