• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Old LR classic won't read own catalog, then keywords vanish after update to Lightroom Classic 11.1

New Here ,
Jan 06, 2022 Jan 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just been working with 3000 photos taken on recent trip (a lot of birds and animals and a few people).

(1) In a possibly misguided attempt to keep things simple while I worked on them, I created a new catalog just for these photos rather than insert them into a very large catalog of 20 years.  I created an elaborate structured set of keywords and applied one or more keywords to each of the 3000 photos.   I was using an older version of Lightroom, the last one that would work with Mac High Sierra.  After doing a lot of work, I decided to quit LR Classic for a little while with the idea of backing some things up.  But when I tried to open the catalog, LR said the catalog was too modern to open even though it was the very same copy of LR  that created it.  THIS MADE ME SORT OF CRAZY but I tried to calm down.

(2) In an attempt to rescue my work, I updated my old Mac Mini to Catalina and updated LR Classic to 11.1. When I opened the catalog, LR updated the catalog.  They phots are still there and some star ratings but my set of keywords was replaced by some weird subset and almost no keywords were applied to invidual photos.  Also all the Stacks had disappeared.  Also all the Smart Collections based on the vanished keywords.  What kind of update is this?

So, is there any way to get my work back?  

(3) Worse yet, I am afraied to open my big catalor with tens of thousands of edited and keyworded photos.  What will Version 11.1 do to this older catalog?  Is there any way to protect the metadata there now (if I can somehow retrieve an old copy of LR Classit to open the old catalog with?

I am scared of losing years of work.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 06, 2022 Jan 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Moderator moved from Using the Community (forums) to LR Classic.]

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 07, 2022 Jan 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is nothing to be scared of. When Lightroom Classic upgrades a catalog, it creates a new upgraded copy. The old catalog remains unchanged and can still be used with the old version of Lightroom. I don't know what happened that caused these strange keyword issues, but you could simply trash the upgraded catalog and try upgrading again.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much for responding.  It is very helpful that you point out that the original data is still there and that there are several things to try.  But I am still baffled by the original problem (the one that caused me to upgrade), namely that in fact the old version of LR would not open the catalog that it created (so strange).  So what version of LR can I use to open the catalog?

While I can still get the old version of LR from a backup (I think), is there any way to get older versions of LR from Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's pretty simple, actually. Any version of Lightroom Classic can open older catalogs (but it will upgradeca copy). Any version of Lightroom Classic can not open newer versions of a catalog, because the new catalog structure was introduced after that version of Lightroom was.

So I don't think that the same version of Lightroom could not open the catalog it just created, like you claim. I think you either created it with the newer version without realising that, or you upgraded it and then tried to open the upgraded copy rather than the original.

You can get older versions here (see the right column): https://prodesigntools.com/tag/ddl

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines