• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

On rename, sequence not rolling over to 0

Enthusiast ,
Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10 Pro, LR 10.0 (yes, I know, but everything newer has a lag so I'm BACK to 10.0)

A couple years ago I asked about renaming in Lightroom. 

This morning I renamed a series of images that went past the 9999 sequence limit.

The file renaming template is set to {Date (YYMMDD)>}_{Sequence # (0001)>} and should give me a filename of 210101_9998.???  Everything's fine 'til it hits 9999, when it happily names the next image 10000 instead of 0001 as I expected from a 4-digit sequence.  I ALSO TRIED Image # with the same result and even Total (not useful in this case).

Is there something simple I'm missing?  'Cause it's about as simple a rename as I can imagine - put in a starting number of 9998, rename a half dozen images and it goes right past 10000.

If this ISN'T some bizarre problem with 10.0, HOW do I get this to properly reset to zero? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I noticed that too a long time ago, so I decided not to use it anymore. I never tried it but I think this is the 'Photos Imported' that can can reset in Catalog Settings - File Handling.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sucks. I'd do a rename from image 10k and set Start Number to 1 again in the Filename dialog (F2). It won't let you do a 0. 

2021-02-22_14-17-24.jpg

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm probably just having a really slow Monday morning, but WHAT'S THE POINT OF HAVING sequences and image numbers if Lightroom isn't going to USE THE SIZES?  I've got to be missing something - Bridge, which is ancient, and been used for decades manages NOT ONLY to roll sequence numbers to zero based on the SIZE OF THE SEQUENCE, but it ALSO keeps TRACK OF THE #$%^% sequence number so I don't have to go look in the Lightroom catalog every <> time for the last number used for the last rename...

What am I missing here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That the renaming was probably written in 2006 and not touched since? I mean, speaking of ancient. 

All I can suggest here is: https://feedback.photoshop.com/topics/lightroom-classic/5f5f2093785c1f1e6cc40872

Make a report. 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I THINK, back in 2019 when I originally asked about the difficult renaming in Lightroom, there was already a request to have this "fixed"...  I suppose it can't hurt to put something over there again, but that forum seems far more frequently to respond with people telling you you're wrong, "Its a design feature" rather than requests getting to development and implemented...  At least that's what it most frequentl seems to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a forum of users, and us two with badges in this post have them because we're trying to help where we can. We're still just Lightroom users. So it doesn't mean we think Lightroom is perfect by any means. Clearly the sequencing has doesn't revert to zero correctly. Stuff like that is why I just use the camera generated sequence.

Using the 5 digit sequence might be a better option for now though as it'll top out with the error much later. That's not gonna fix it clearly.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sean, none of this frustration is aimed at you guys.  You, like us, are the pointy end of the spear trying to get things done in spite of the kind of niggling problems that waste so much time.

There is NO WAY this roll over has been broken since 2008.  I'd ABSOLUTELY have noticed it in the 20+ times I've rolled past 10,000 images.  I'm not sure when it stopped working, but I stuck a topic in the feedback forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines