Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Only esential images on main PC

Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

is there an option so make a backup from all images, with adustments and things like ratings.

I want to only have the immages i need on my main PC so i have enogh space and delet all with for exaple a 0 Star rating, but save all on an external harddirve as backup.

Anyone an idea?

(I am working on Windos, but shoud not be to big of a difference)

Thx and have a nice day.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Lightroom Classic actually makes this easy. You can keep the essential images on your laptop and the rest of the images on external storage, and keep one Lightroom Classic catalog on your laptop that tracks all of those images in one place.

This is possible because the catalog does not have to be on the same volume as the images that it tracks, and becauise Lightroom Classic lets you track images on multiple volumes in one catalog. If you add images from multiple volumes, each volume appears s

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no option for this. You can backup only the whole catalog.

BTW: If you backuped the catalog your images are not included in this backup. You have to save your pictures seperatly. 

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn't make sense. If you are going to keep a picture, then you want it to be backed up. If you are having space problems, the solution is to get more space, like another external hard disk, and then put ALL (every photo, 100% of them, no exceptions) on the external drive instead of the internal drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a laptop and i travell a lot so i want to take my pictures with me, but not all of them cause of storage and i need the backup in case i am going to lose my Laptop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you don't need access to all of your images while travelling, then why not use the 'Export as catalog' option in File menu to create a catalog that contains only the images you need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought this woud only export the "settings" but not move the original images?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic actually makes this easy. You can keep the essential images on your laptop and the rest of the images on external storage, and keep one Lightroom Classic catalog on your laptop that tracks all of those images in one place.

This is possible because the catalog does not have to be on the same volume as the images that it tracks, and becauise Lightroom Classic lets you track images on multiple volumes in one catalog. If you add images from multiple volumes, each volume appears separately in the Folders list.

In fact, what you want is the way I already work. Most of my images are on external storage, and the catalog is on the laptop. When I disconnect it and take my laptop, I can still use Lightroom Classic with the images on the laptop. Although the externally stored images are missing, Lightroom Classic will automatically reconnect to them the next time I reconnect the external volume.

My Lightroom Classic catalog is a little more than 3GB for over 100,000 images. 3GB does not take up much space on a laptop, so keeping the catalog on the laptop is no problem. What does take up space is the Previews.lrdata file next to the catalog, but if it gets too big I can delete it and let Lightroom Classic rebuild it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thats exactly what i was looking for, thx a lot and sorry that i have already pined a different awnser as solution and i do not think i can change this anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines