Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Open multiple images in LR to PS

New Here ,
Jul 27, 2020 Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, 

My current editing process involves editing in LR, then one image at a time "open in PS". I edit in PS, then click "save" and the image is back in LR and I'll  finish my editing workflow there. I'm looking for a way to open multiple images from LR to PS (rather than one at a time) and then get them all back in LR (as simple  as possible). 

I've tried using camera raw instead of LR, and open all images in PS. I just like LR so much better. 

how can I achieve this?

Many thanks!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, that option does not exist yet in Lightroom desktop. It only exists in Lightroom Classic.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Johan, thank you, and sorry i mean to include that I am using LR Classic! So is there a way to open multiple images at once to photoshop and then save them back to LR classic?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Select the images and choose 'Edit in Photoshop'. After you have edited them, use 'Save' (not 'Save as') for each of them. 

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do appreciate the help! The only thing is that I'm able to do this 1 image at a time, however I haven't figured out how to select multiple images in Lightroom classic and export them all at the same time to PS?  Essentially I want to get say 50 images all at once into PS, then I'll run an action on these images in PS and want to bri g them back to LR classic. Any way that's possible ? Thank you so much for your help and time! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure you are using Lightroom Classic, not Lightroom (cloud)? It sure sounds like you are using the latter. Go to Help - System Info and look at the version number and other info. Tell us what it says.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep 100% sure it's LR Classic. If I select several images (click on one and then shift and click to select more) and then go to photo --> Edit in --> Photoshop, then only the first selected image opens in Photoshop. 

Am I selecting the images wrong? Should I do this in a different way?

thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2022 Jan 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sarah

I don't know if you ever got an answer to this but I had the same issue.  After reading multiple posts I discovered for myself that you need to be in the LIBRARY module in LR Classic (not Develop as some others have said), then you can select the images you want, (I clicked on the first image then held down the CTRL button and selected the next images I wanted) then pressed CTRL E.  If you have a Mac, use CMD.  This worked for me.

regards, Karen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, you can do it from Develop, but you need to have Auto Sync enabled to open all selected photos into Photoshop in one go. If not, only the "most selected" will open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.  I've not seen that mentioned in any of the responses people have had before so that is good to know.  It's not obvious though what Auto Sync is unless you are familiar with it.  I've just been looking in Preferences to see if is there but again reverted to Google for help and found it is the Sync/Auto Sync button that I am more familiar with using when applying develop settings to more that one image.  Had no idea that had to be enabled in order to open multiple images in LR.  So much to learn!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Had no idea that had to be enabled in order to open multiple images in LR."

But as @D Fosse says- 'Auto-Sync' is only needed in the Develop Module, (otherwise normally only ONE photo is actioned.)

There is no 'Auto-Sync' setting to make in the Library module from which multiple selected photos WILL open in Ps by [Ctrl+E].

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quote "There is no 'Auto-Sync' setting to make in the Library module from which multiple selected photos WILL open in Ps by [Ctrl+E]."

There is an "Auto-Sync" available in Lightroom Module, see the screen capture.

Screenshot 2022-01-30 at 8.26.54 PM.png

If you use the edit in PS function with multiple images selected they will open in Photoshop.

Also if you view the images in the "Grid View" in the Library module and select multiple images they will also open in Photoshop even if you do not select the Auto Sync.

At least that is what I experience on my system.

As indicated in an earlier post if you are working in the Develop Module and have multiple images selected in the thumbnail strip you do need to have the "auto Sync" selected.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One caution to remember, when you select the Auto-Sync option it remains active until you deactivate.

This means when you select multiple images in the future it comes into play and can have some "surprises" if you are not aware.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@DdeGannes  You are correct. I am corrected 🙂  There is an [Auto-Sync] button in Library view. Just that I have never used it.

Except for Loupe View (in Library) , I have difficulty understanding why it might be used if multiple photos are selected in the Library Grid view.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@DdeGannes wrote:

This means when you select multiple images in the future it comes into play and can have some "surprises" if you are not aware.

Indeed. Auto Sync is wonderful for many things, but it can very easily bite you if you forget.

It should be "spring loaded", so that it's automatically disabled when the selection is changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2022 Jan 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good advice, thanks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 31, 2022 Jan 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There are some users that work with it activated permanently and they are aware it will come into play when they select multiple images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines