• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Opened my LRCAT file and showed prompt "This file does not contain a supported format"

New Here ,
May 20, 2023 May 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, I couldn't find any solution to this problem since the file is an LRCAT file, not raw photos like .jpeg or a .png. Also, I tried private messaging two "Adobe Employees" about this issue but not one replied yet.

So dear people, I would like to ask for help on how to fix this issue..

I usually use an M1 Mac laptop to do the edits of my client's photos. But this time, I'm trying to use my Windows 11 laptop. Usually when I open the LRCAT file on the Mac laptop, it works just fine. But when I opened the LRCAT file on the Windows 11 laptop, it shows me a prompt. I have attached the screenshots from my Windows 11 laptop for your reference.

I am sure that my Lightroom has been updated to the latest version, I think this info will be helpful.

Also, my client usually does some edits of the catalog first for my reference before I do the editing of the rest of the pictures. If you can see the attached photo I sent, these are all the files that my client sends me when I edit pictures. I believe the folders contain the actual pictures, personal presets used, etc. But I think I shouldn't mess with the other folders so my client's edits won't get damaged in any way. Basically the LRCAT file she sends already has some edited pictures.

I couldn't find anything online regarding opening an LRCAT file that states that the file does not contained a supported format, so any help from you is greatly appreciated.

I'm just confused why I couldn't open the said file in my Windows 11 laptop when on my Mac it works just fine.

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions, my email is [removed personal info by Moderator]

Thank you so much!

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 21, 2023 May 21, 2023

You are trying to open a Lightroom Classic catalog (lrcat) with Lightroom, the version that stores photos to the cloud and does not use a local catalog. This does not work.

You need to install Lightroom Classic first and use it to open the catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 21, 2023 May 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are trying to open a Lightroom Classic catalog (lrcat) with Lightroom, the version that stores photos to the cloud and does not use a local catalog. This does not work.

You need to install Lightroom Classic first and use it to open the catalog.

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2023 May 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It worked!! Thank you for the quick response! I didn't realize that I was using Lightroom, not Lightroom Classic haha my bad, thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines