Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

OpenGL Failure in Lightroom CC

Explorer ,
Apr 21, 2015 Apr 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got "Graphics processor acceleration has been disabled due to errors."

My system exceeds all the requirements to my knowledge, and I've updated all my drivers.

Specs:

Operating system: Windows 7 Ultimate Edition

Version: 6.1 [7601]

Application architecture: x64

System architecture: x64

Logical processor count: 12

Processor speed: 3.9 GHz

Built-in memory: 28616.8 MB

Real memory available to Lightroom: 28616.8 MB

Real memory used by Lightroom: 829.0 MB (2.8%)

Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 810.5 MB

Memory cache size: 1149.7 MB

Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 6

Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX

System DPI setting: 96 DPI

Desktop composition enabled: Yes

Displays: 1) 1920x1200, 2) 1920x1080, 3) 1920x1080

Input types: Multitouch: No, Integrated touch: No, Integrated pen: Yes, External touch: No, External pen: Yes, Keyboard: No

Graphics Processor Info:

Check OpenGL support: Failed

Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.

Version: 3.3.13292 Core Profile Context 14.502.1014.0

Renderer: AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series

LanguageVersion: 4.40

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 21, 2015 Apr 21, 2015

Definitely get the drivers up to date.

I don't believe there's a problem with Radeon HD cards, and FWIW, I'm using a XFX AMD Radeon R9 280 with 3Gb. You're going to need a recent generation card with at least 2Gb of memory such as the AMD R9 2xx series or nvidia’s Geforce 700 or 900.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 320 Replies 320
LEGEND ,
Apr 28, 2015 Apr 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's pretty unrealistic to expect Adobe to test every single card out there - especially the older ones - don't you think? That'll be why they've provided a minimum spec list rather than a list of tested cards...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My AMD card is within the specification according to AMD. Abobe will still expect the same money each month from me as those who have a fully working system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The following is what I received from AMD.  Have not tried the free software yet to "cleanse" the rest of the old card.  I doubt if it will work, but I will try.  And BTW way, I don't think it is unrealistic to buy a product that doesn't work. As for "Fault":  pick your own word.  It still doesn't work.

Response and Service Request History:

I understand that you have questions regarding Open GL 3.3 for AMD Readeon HD7570 gpu. Please confirm my understanding on your reported issue as this may change my response below.

As per the specification and features for the graphic card it will support open GL.3.3. Please refer below link for the details.
http://www.gpuzoo.com/GPU-AMD/Radeon_HD_7570_GDDR3_OEM.html

http://www.gpuzoo.com/GPU-AMD/Radeon_HD_7570_GDDR5_OEM.html

For software troubleshooting, please clean reinstall the driver.

Please uninstall the current driver via Catalyst Installation Manager.

(Recommended) Clean the remaining files manually by using the third-party clean like DriverSweeper or DriverFusion (Free edition).

At last install the CCC as usual.

In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.

Best regards,

AMD Global Customer Care

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit:  And BTW, I don't think it is realistic to buy a product that doesn't work as advertised.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just in case I missed it, has Adobe made a formal statement about this and

what we should expect, timeframe for resolution etc?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the boxed license of LR 6, not CC; however, I have received nothing from Adobe in the way of explanation or remediation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI ....

Have ATI based  HD7770.  Uploaded new drivers and LR 6 works just fine.

Looks like most issues are with older cards.

I did try a quadro FX4000 ... failed because the OpenGL is 3.2 - even with updated driver.

I myself will upgrade the video card in the near term to take advantage of software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 29, 2015 Apr 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi team,

OpenGL 3.3 is indeed a requirement ... but it is only one of the requirements. In addition to this, Lr runs a self-diagnostic test of the GPU during startup, to make sure that the hardware has enough resources, and also that it can render an image correctly using the Lightroom imaging pipeline. Even if the hardware and software driver reports that OpenGL 3.3 is supported, this self-diagnostic test is used to double-check that the GPU can actually be used for processing images in Lr. If this step fails, then Lr will automatically disable the GPU support ("Unsupported hardware/driver" message in the Preferences / Performance panel).

For the AMD issues reported here, yes, we are currently investigating this in collaboration with AMD.

Eric

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Eric. I get the first error message.  No more.  Then under system information I get the second message. 

GPU acceleration has been disabled due to errors.

Graphics Processor Info:

Check OpenGL support: Failed

Version: 3.3.13283 Core Profile Context 14.501.1003.0

Renderer: AMD Radeon HD 7500 Series

LanguageVersion: 4.40

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When will there be a fix? Now it's 7 days after the release with this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2015 Apr 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This string has been helpful thanks.

Had the usual opengl error. Rolled my driver back (to 4/17/2014 driver) as suggested here and there is now no error.

However, I have various minor glitches in Lightroom and other places. Looking forward to a fix.

Thanks! www.Lipofsky.com

Lightroom version:  CC 2015 [1014445]

License: Creative Cloud
Operating system: Windows 7 Home Premium Edition

Version: 6.1 [7601]
Application architecture: x64

System architecture: x64

Logical processor count: 8

Processor speed: 2.9 GHz

Built-in memory: 12247.0 MB

Real memory available to Lightroom: 12247.0 MB

Real memory used by Lightroom: 1692.7 MB (13.8%

Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 1796.7 MB

Memory cache size: 0.0 MB

Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 4

Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2

System DPI setting: 96 DPI

Desktop composition enabled: Yes

Displays: 1) 1920x1080

Input types: Multitouch: No, Integrated touch: No, Integrated pen: No, External touch: No, External pen: No, Keyboard: No

Graphics Processor Info:

AMD Radeon HD 5700 Series

Check OpenGL support: Passed

Version: 3.3.12874 Core Profile Context 14.100.0.0

Renderer: AMD Radeon HD 5700 Series

LanguageVersion: 4.30

Application folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom

Library Path: C:\Lightroom catalog\Lightroom 4-2-2-2.lrcat

Settings Folder: C:\Users\Steve\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom

Installed Plugins:

1) Behance

2) Canon Tether Plugin
3) Facebook

4) Flickr

5) Leica Tether Plugin

6) Nikon Tether Plugin

Config.lua flags: None

Adapter #1: Vendor : 1002

Device : 68b8

Subsystem : 6880103c

Revision : 0

Video Memory : 1009

AudioDeviceIOBlockSize: 1024

AudioDeviceName: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)

AudioDeviceNumberOfChannels: 2

AudioDeviceSampleRate: 44100

Build: LR5x102

Direct2DEnabled: false

GPUDevice: not available

OGLEnabled: true

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more thing.

I'm a photographer who does 97% of my photo work in Lightroom.

It's a great program, but I do a lot of waiting in the develop module when adjusting an image.

There is also a delay when switching from grid view (which kicks you into Library module) to develop. I do this for most every image.

I can shoot am thousand or so images for a given job and I so wish that I could zip through them.

I'm not sure if the bottle neck is this video driver issue or ...? I don't see my CPU or memory maxing out while I work. Suggestions?

Thanks, www.Lipofsky.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Were you having any of these issues with LR5 or did they just start with LR CC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for asking.

I opened LR5 to check and it seemed faster overall.

You may have helped me telepathically. I just opened LRCC and it seems on par with LR5 and the overall speed has improved.

LR in general seems to really bog down at times. I'll monitor this and see if I can find a correlation with other factors. I installed a SS Hard Drive a little while a go and it made a significant difference.

Regards,

Steve

www.Lipofsky.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What parts of Lightroom "really bog down at times"? Be specific

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

I constantly switch from Develop to grid view, which takes me to the library module and back. This become a bottle neck.

There can be significant delays between the time that I click on a develop preset and the time that it takes effect.

This just in:

Selecting the next image from the preview bar at the bottom of the develop module is agonizingly slow. CPU and mem are not maxed out.

Steve

www.Lipofsky.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you do a lot of brushing or spot healing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No brushing.

Spot healing and cloning at times, but none during this last session where LR slowed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try disabling the GPU in LR Preferences, close all applications, restart your system, and let us know what if anything changes.

I'm also on Windows 7 with a similar performance system (i7-860 Quad Core, 12 GB memory) and even higher res monitor (2560 x 1440) with no real issues with the LR GPU is disabled. With GPU enabled and "browsing" the filmstrip in the Develop module preview building takes 1.5 to 3.0 seconds to a fully sharpened Fit view image. I'm using the latest Nvidia Quadro 600 driver v347.88.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did as you suggested and am editing. So far, OK and no graphic glitches.

Slowness seems to develop as I work. I'll test and report.

Mark,

Are you a pro photographer?

I use grid view to select, which only id available in develop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lipofsky,

Yes.

I am a pro wedding photographer.

I also provide an editing service for other photographers.

This is a side job as I play engineer in the semiconductor world during the day.

So speed, workflow, glitches, usability all matter to me.

I edit with a dual screen setup.  I use to operate with one screen.

I select images I want to touch on the 2nd screen while in the develop module.

If I am working on 1 screen, I have to select the image from the bottom scrolling bar of images.  I do this while in the develop module.

Hope this helps.

More questions ... let me know.

-Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Mark.

I do use the previews below develop, but use the grid as well as it can speed things up.

Just noticed that I use my mouse's scrolling wheel to advance to the next image, but this only works in Library mode.

Am I missing anything? Grid and scroll only available in Library, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lipofskydotcom wrote:

Did as you suggested and am editing. So far, OK and no graphic glitches.

Slowness seems to develop as I work. I'll test and report.

There are a couple of things that could cause the slow down as you work:

1) Every time you change or apply new settings to an image in the Develop module the Library module previews for the edited images must be updated. If you switch back-and-forth between the Develop and Library modules there will be a delay. When you go back to the Library module the Standard size previews must be rebuilt for all images with new Develop module settings. As Mark-FOTO mentioned this is not a good workflow practice.

2) If you have 'Automatically write changes into XMP checked that also slows down LR in both the Develop and Library modules. This is because any Develop change made to an image must be written to XMP or the file (DNG, JPEG, TIFF, PSD). The speed this occurs at is unpredictable, but many have reported performance issue with it enabled. Try using the below Catalog settings.

This is going off topic but may help others with performance issues who use the same Library>Develop>Library image editing workflow.

WORKFLOW SUGGESTION

1) Do all of your rating and selecting in the Library module using the Select Flag, Stars, and Colors below the Grid.

2) Switch over to the Develop module and use the Filter tool in the lower right hand corner to show only your images designated for edits. Only those images tagged for edits will appear in the filmstrip.

3) Edit the filter selected image files in the Develop module. When ALL images edits have been completed return to the Library module.

4)  Go to menu item Library> Previews> and select Build 1:1 Previews. For best performance wait until completed before attempting to do any further work in the Develop module.

5) When done reset both Filters or select a new filter criteria to continue.

NOTE: You can also use Keyword tagging and other metadata with the Library filter to find, rate, and select images in multiple subfolders. Go to menu Library> and check 'Show Photos in Subfolders.' Navigate to the desired higher-level folder and apply the filter criteria using the Library filter at the top of the grid. You can use both the Ratings FIlter and Library Filter simultaneously in both the Library and Develop modules.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the thoughtful response.

I'll read carefully get back with results.

Steve Lipofsky

www.Lipofsky.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lipofsky,

I am not sure your work flow is optimized.

My understanding is you do you work in Library module then jump into develop module.

You should not have to go back and forth after every shot.

I do all my sorting, culling and then use meta data to further refine before I get into the develop module.

Can I ask what type of images are you editing?

Are you building previews?

If you don't build previews ... then the software has to build them.

-Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines