Opening cleanly in PS 2021 instead of 2022

Engaged ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems like it should be simple, which usually means I’m making it harder than necessary…  This is far from the biggest problem of the day, but if it's simple to have a clean way to go into 2021, I'd like to be able to do that.

PS 2022 is out.  I’ve installed it.  There are some issues there that make it desirable for me to be able to send images directly from Lightroom to PS 2021 NOT 2022.

I can create an external editor, point it at PS 2021 and do an “Edit in”, BUT even when I send a .NEF file from Lightroom, it creates a NEW file, TIF or PSD depending on which I specify in the external editor, and sends that instead.  Its extremely slow since it has to create the new file, it DOESN’T send the RAW file, and if I cancel from Photoshop there’s an extra file sitting there.  It’s clumsy and inefficient.

HOW do I create an “Edit in Photoshop 2021” under the “Edit in Adobe Photoshop 2022” that looks and works the same way?

And yes, I can create an Export, and that sort-of works, but with a RAW file it dumps me into ACR instead of going directly into Photoshop 2021…

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most members have an issue where the PS listed in /preferences/external editing/ is the older version. One solution is to uninstall PS then reinstall PS.

Some have an issue where the new version of Camera RAW was not installed. My assumption, based on my perhaps bad habits, is they assumed ACR 14 would get installed as a result of installing the new PS, that is how it used to work, even if you clicked on all possible update/upgrades, the ACR would magically be installed during the PS install. Now this time I did not click all the update buttons, did it one at a time, and ACR did not get installed as part if the PS install. So check that in PS.

As to rolling back to old PS, yes you can do that, you can even (unlike LrC) have both versions of PS, but I am fairly sure the only version listed in /preferences/external editing/ fir edit in PS will be the latest.

Note some have had to reset both LrC and PS preferences. and some MACOS (especially Monteray, are still having issues)

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 13, 2021 Nov 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeah, I know I can go through the whole process of uninstalling and reinstalling, but it's a massive PITA.

I was hoping somebody would know how they put the version of Photoshop in the "Edit in ..." thing so I could copy it, modify it to point to the 2021 version and have a second "Edit in" that works correctly.  Doesn't SEEM like it sould be hard, but I don't know exactly how THAT external editor gets defined...

Worst case I'll be stuck with having to wait while it opens ACR every time and telling it to "Open" to get to PS 2021.  Not the biggest issue of the day, just another one of the umpteen little niggly pains-in-the-neck.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines