Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Optimizing Catalog to Save Storage & Increase Performance

New Here ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working on a MacBook Pro 2017 that is super laggy. What is a recommendation to optimize against this and increase performance? Can I store the catalog on an external hard drive? Should I store catalogs in sub folders as I create them? Any help and and detailed instructions (or even hopping on a screen share) on how to set up any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks!
TOPICS
macOS, Web

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your post suggests you are not using Lightroom (this is a 'Lightroom-ecosystem' forum), but instead are using Lightroom-Classic, or an old version of Lr (perpetual).

So post a screen-clip of the report from MENU: Help > System Info...

Then you may get a suitable answer.

Regards. My System: Lr-Classic 11.0.1, Photoshop 23.0.2, Lightroom 5.0, Bridge 12.0, Windows-10.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rob, this is indeed for Lightroom. Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I store the catalog on an external hard drive?

"Lightroom" - No.

Should I store catalogs in sub folders as I create them?

No.

The Lightroom Catalog is stored in the Cloud. You can only have the ONE Cloud Catalog. A Copy of the catalog can reside on your computer to allow editing of images when offline.

And which Lightroom is that?

Lightroom (Perpetual v1-6)

Lightroom- Desktop (v5.0)

Lightroom-Classic v11.0.1

Lightroom-Mobile (iOS or Android)

Lightroom-Web

For Lightroom-CLASSIC (and Lr Perpetual versions) find some info here-

Performance - The Complete Series on Optimizing Lightroom's Speed | The Lightroom Queen

Regards. My System: Lr-Classic 11.0.1, Photoshop 23.0.2, Lightroom 5.0, Bridge 12.0, Windows-10.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 20, 2021 Nov 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please post your System Information as Lightroom Classic (LrC) reports it. In LrC click on Help, then System Info, then Copy. Paste that information into a reply. Please present all information from first line down to and including Plug-in Info. Info after Plug-in info can be cut as that is just so much dead space to us non-Techs.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines