• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Option ´edit on external editor´ not available in LRC

New Here ,
Nov 22, 2022 Nov 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed Lightroom Classic (12.0.1) and Photoshop (24.0.1) on my new iMac M1 with OS Ventura. The catalog and photos are on an external harddrive. Since then the option to edit a photo in an external editor (f.i. Photoshop) is greyed out. When I copy a photo to my internal harddrive the option to edit this photo in an external editor becomes available. Is this a known bug in LRC in combination with Ventura or the M1 processor or is there an other solution?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 24, 2022 Nov 24, 2022

I just noticed: In de library module there is a little questionmark in every map symbol. That supports your idea of missing photos. Do you have any idea how I can restore that?

By @FreVer

Yep, that's missing folders and thus missing images. Lightroom is still looking for your images in the Pictures folder instead of on the external drive. Here's how to solve that: 

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom-photos-missing-fix/

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to allow full disk access to Lightroom in the Privacy section of Security & Privacy in System Preferences. 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answer, Sean. Both Lightroom Classic and Photoshop already have full disk access.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post a screenshot, Library module, grid view, folders panel shown. Looking for ? and ! marks

and see:

https://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr2_find_folder/find-folder.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2022 Nov 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the answer I got from Adobe:

During our previous interaction, we were discussing the Lightroom Catalog issue unable to edit in Photoshop  In macOS Ventura 

We have received your emails and we understood that this issue is linked with the Lightroom catalog on external drive.

We are sorry for the inconvenience. We are aware of the issue and are investigating a fix. This is a Known issue in the macOS ventura and we have already Logged a Bug. 

You can check this help article: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/lightroom-classic/kb/known-issues.html

At the moment, we  have a workaround: Kindly Move/ Copy -paste your catalogs to the Internal Drive and  the option will work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 23, 2022 Nov 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be able to resolve the issue decribed by updating to LrC 12.0.1, whcih includes Ventura specific bug fixes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2022 Nov 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you can see in my original post I´m already running version 12.0.1. Adobe has recognized that it´s a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe support has a reputation for giving the wrong answers. Did you actually follow the link they gave you to see if your problem is listed as a known problem on that page?  It is not.

Make sure not only Lightroom Classic, but also Photoshop has full disk access.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has. It´s curious that there is no problem with photos saved or copied onto the local harddrive. And you´re right. My problem is not listed on the webpage the link is directing me to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reason that it's not listed is because it is not a known bug. I haven't upgraded to Ventura yet, but my wife did. I just checked if Lightroom Classic on her MacBook Pro M1 Max can send a photo that is located on an external hard disk to Photoshop and it can. No problems. The menu is not dimmed and the photo opens in Photoshop just fine.

That makes me wonder if the photo is not simply missing. Maybe that is obscured by having smart previews, so you do not see an exclamation mark. You said in your original message "When I copy a photo to my internal harddrive the option to edit this photo in an external editor becomes available". How do you copy that photo? In the Finder and then import it again in Lightroom? That would support the 'missing photo' possibility...

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your quick response. I copied some photos in the way you described. But, how can the photos be missing? When I installed my new Mac M1 I copied everything (f.i. the map ´Pictures´) from my old Mac onto the external harddrive. I installed Lightroom and Photoshop from scratch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just noticed: In de library module there is a little questionmark in every map symbol. That supports your idea of missing photos. Do you have any idea how I can restore that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By @FreVer

Yep, that's missing folders and thus missing images. Lightroom is still looking for your images in the Pictures folder instead of on the external drive. Here's how to solve that: 

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom-photos-missing-fix/

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This was the solution! It took a bit of work, but everything is working as it should now. Thank you very, very much! Also a big thank you for the other community members for taking the time and effort to help me solving my problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest you try reinstalling Photoshop. Yes, it's a PITA, but doing sooften fixes the issue you have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines