• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Option key and showing clipping

Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2021 Aug 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Normall to quickly check clipping, I hold otion when moving the whites and blacks sliders.  It would show the clipped whites and darks. Now it shows just a black or white screen and the clipping never shows.  The option key works just fine for every other option I use it for (sharpening etc).  There are definately parts of the images that are blown out etc so something has happened.

M1 Macbook Air

Any advice?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

M1 Macbook Air

Is your battery running low?

Even if plugged in.

see:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/community/threads/help-whites-slider-is-broken-when-using-alt.24674/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2021 Aug 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Battery is 100% so its not a battery issue.  Its almost like some setting I can't find got changed.  I use it for every single edit, so I have literally used this function 1000's of times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you considered restoring (a.k.a. resetting) the preference file. The preference file can get corrupted leading to buggy behavior. The preference file will survive updates, upgrades, uninstalls, reinstalls. Note that this may revert some preference settings to defaults.

see: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/setting-preferences-lightroom.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, does it also fail for the  Highlite and Shadows sliders?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to only be broken on both highlights and shadow sliders.  When used on sharpening it still shows edges just fine. When used on highlights and shadows it only shows a pure white/black screen that never changes no matter how blown out the picture is. 

I will dreadfully try resetting my preferences as a last resort lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, try disabling GPU in the preferences (Preformance tab). Any better?
If not, recalibrate and build a new ICC display profile, the old one might be corrupted.
If you are using software/hardware for this task, be sure the software is set to build a matrix not LUT profile, Version 2 not Version 4 profile.
Some have reported color issues with displays that have an HDR option. Open Display Settings and toggle off the "Use HDR" switch if such an option exists.
If turning OFF GPU works, it's a GPU bug and you need to contact the manufacturer or find out if there's an updated driver for it. 
Also see: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/acr-gpu-faq.html

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I mentioned , It's an M1 MacBook so I really doubt it's a driver issue or an hdr issue. Especially if it was working a few days ago and suddenly not. No OS update or Lightroom update in between the time it was working and when it's not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 11, 2021 Aug 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No OS update or Lightroom update in between the time it was working and when it's not

So, did you consider restoring the preference file as brought up earlier. OS not changed, App not changed, what could have Changed? That preference file for one.

A lesson learned from another users problem, include the Adobe Basic Troubleshooting Steps document, (ref 1)  It in fact includes that possible remedy (along with others)

(ref 1) : Adobe | Basic troubleshooting steps to fix issues in Lightroom Classic

Also, a video on this:

Laura Shoe | Resolving Buggy Behavior in Lightroom: How to Reset Preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 12, 2021 Aug 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I have tried disabling GPU and resetting my preferences. The problem still exists. Holding option while moving the whites slider turns the screen completely black and stays that way matter how much I blow the picture out. Holding option the blacks slider turns the screen white no matter how black the image has become. Holding option while moving the sharpening mask slider it turns the image black and white with edges visible as expected.

I'm at a loss.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Aug 14, 2021 Aug 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you apply a custom tone curve to the image? I notice the same behavior (the white and black sliders not showing clipping with the Option key pressed even when moved to the maximum or minimum) when I use a custom curve (not the Linear/Medium Contrast/Strong Contrast). This may happen if the custom curve has the black and/or white points shifted.

Edit: Todd Shaner mentions this below, I did not see his post until I posted mine...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 13, 2021 Aug 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scrolled thru the above. One thing I do not see. This is a stretch. How does LrC behave with a new catalog?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@GoldingD Okay that wasnt a stretch at all.  It works just fine when I import to a new cat.  Any ideas on what I can do to make my actual cat work again?  I hate rebuilding catalogues.  My pictures are almost all remote and it takes literally days of importing to make a new cat 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hopefully another member will weigh in, I have never had to or experimented with the concept. I think what is involved, is from the new catalog, importing from the old catalog. 

A point to make, Do not re-import the photos. That would loose the edits. 

and a link that might help

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/catalog-faq-lightroom.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Appreciate it. Hopefully I can rebuild my old cat somehow (and keep all my edits etc)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might try Export as Catalog command then Import as Catalog. Don't know if the issue will transfer or not. I've never heard of this issue before nor such a fix that you found but maybe worth a try.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Tone Curve can cause this if the end points have been moved off of 0 and 255. You may have applied a develop preset that does this (see below) or done it yourself. Double-click on the word 'Point Curve' in the Tone Curve panel to reset it and see if that fixes the issue.

Tone Curve Off 0 and 255.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just posted a similar explanation above. I should have scrolled to the bottom of the thread, sorry!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem I've done it myself with threads that get long.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2021 Nov 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Wow, this totally was the solution for me. Is there no workaround for this? As soon as the curve is adjusted - whether through myself or a preset - the clipping warnings don't work??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines