Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Activation or Deactivation versions of Lightroom 6

Community Beginner ,
Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have installed LR 6 on new machine. I can't activate it unless deactivated on other machine. So on other machine I did "Sign out". There is a message - "it will deactivate LR on this machine" - I clicked OK. Still can't activate. On my Adobe account there is nothing under Plans and payment->Activated devices.

So haw can I use a product on new machine? I know LR 6 is quite old, but still it is something I purchuased and I want to use.

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 09, 2021 Sep 09, 2021

Adobe no longer supports Lightroom 6.14 (perpetual).

What does this mean?

• Installers, one-on-one technical support, security fixes, and bug fixes are not available for perpetual license versions. User to user led support is available through our Adobe Support Community.

For the latest updates and fixes please subscribe to a Photography, Lightroom, or Creative Cloud plan. Please be aware that there are two versions of Lightroom today. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Dec 14, 2023 Dec 14, 2023

This is a reminder that the Download Availability for Lightroom 6.14 is fast approaching. Please be sure to download it before December 31, 2023.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 508 Replies 508
Community Expert ,
Jun 02, 2022 Jun 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to hear of the troubles. However, trying to use a cracked version of Adobe software has its own problems – it is not only illegal, but it is also unsafe and people have had lots of issues...

When transferring ownership of a valid perpetual license, Adobe has outlined a process which should be followed by both the buyer and the seller. This ensures the transfer is legally complete and the buyer can be recognized as the new owner:

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/transfer-product-license.html

As you pointed out, this is no longer a concern with any subscription-based product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is, that the software was allowing me to activate back in 2019 - also in 2021, when I had to reinstall.

Another problem to my eyes is, that this "transfer licence" stuff is something you do not know until someone tells  you or you actively search for it.

At least the details of the "actual" licence owner should be published to the one owning the hard copy, so he is able to report the person to local authorities. At least he should be able to answer why he is not owning the hard copy of the software anymore, but claiming to be the official owner. Quoting "preventing personal data" seems weird in a fraud (?) case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, owning the hard copy doesn't really mean anything. It's just media. And it's optional.

For well over a decade, getting a disc or box with an Adobe software license has not been necessary, or often even possible... There are also tons of counterfeit boxes that you'd be challenged to tell the difference from real.

In other words, license ≠ media.

But you're right that it's a mess to try to successfully & legally buy a secondhand product which is why it's not recommended.

Lastly, as far as Adobe revealing to anyone the personal information of a license owner based on a given serial number is likely a breach of privacy laws, but possibly could be brought with a proper court order.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could not agree more. Licensing is another word for legal ripoff. Adobe
is a master at it. They take away the choice to license or buy outright.
greedy grasping multinationals who care only about how many more
millions of $'s they can make

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2022 Jun 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In case this helps anyone, I was having trouble with this too but managed to fix it.

It was really bad trouble reinstalling LR6 actually because it turns out that although the app is 64 bit, the installer is 32 bit. So that means downgrading from MacOS Catalina to Mojave, though it should theoretically be possible to upgrade again after finishing with the installer.

My initial loss of LR6, by the way, was caused by installing Creative Cloud and then logging in to an enterprise CC account for Photoshop. CC somehow took over my LR6 and insisted on rebranding it to LR2015.CC and declaring it unlicensed and function-limited (no develop mode). Uninstalling that CC did not solve this and I was left with an unusable LR.

Anyway, the answer that actually worked, after downgrading MacOS was this:

1. Install the LR6.0 as originally purchased.

2. Install the 6.14 patch.

Note: don't download the latest LS11 that's available from Adobe until August 2022, it's 6.12 and won't accept the patch.

3. Make a clean install of the Creative Cloud app.

4. Then run LR6. The activation part that had been saying "please connect to the internet" seems to find its way via the Creative Cloud app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 09, 2023 Jun 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Kieran24746206fca4 you're my hero!! thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 13, 2023 Jun 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @Kieran24746206fca4  for outlining the steps you took to get LR 6 back up and running!
Can I ask where you guys got the original Lightroom 6.0 install file? 
And the 6.14 patch file? I can't find them anywhere...
All I see is the LS11 dmg on the "support is ending" page. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me, I'd already lost trust in Adobe so I took the odd-feeling step of buying my LR6 from Amazon! Luckily for me, the original installer remains downloadable from their software store. As for the .14 update, I'm afraid so far as I can recall I probably got that direct from Adobe in the brief period that they were providing it, so there is nowhere I can point you to now. I presume the license prevents me from supplying my stored copy to you. If anyone from Adobe is reading this and would care to officially authorise it, I'd be able to pass it on, but that seems unlikely!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's possible to download 6 from the below link. Note that it's a legitimate source.

https://prodesigntools.com/adobe-lightroom-6-cc-direct-download-links.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I couldn't find the Lightroom 6.0 file there though. When I follow the older (before 6.14) links, I get a 404 error. Perhaps Adobe took them down?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 14, 2023 Jun 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I couldn't find the Lightroom 6.0 file there though. When I follow the older (before 6.14) links, I get a 404 error. Perhaps Adobe took them down?

By @JosiahAnduril

Why would you go for older than v6.14?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2023 Jun 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In order to follow the steps outlined in the post I replied to above. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both Mac and PC versions of Lightroom v6.14 (Legacy perpetual version) are available here, for a Limited time! (Save a copy!!)-

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/lightroom-6-end-of-support.html

The download is a 'Full install' of Lightroom v6.14- not a patch! No other file is needed.

All you need is your Serial Registration Number for v6.0  (AND any previous version if, for you,  v6 is an upgrade from v5 v4, etc.)

Do NOT install the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop App, or trial one of the new versions that require Cloud Activation , as it will convert v6.14 to CC2015 (Subscription version).

If you strike Activation problems with v6.14- the 'correct' answer is here- in this forum thread-

Activation or Deactivation versions of Lightroom

And seriously consider the great value of a subscription to the Photography Plan (20GB) with all the other Apps 'thrown in'- especially Photoshop, etc.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the instructions. I have downloaded the file, and have tried to install it on my computer, but when I get to put in my serial number, I receive a message saying that I need to "connect to the internet." I have a stable wifi connection, and access to adobe servers, so there is some other issue. Has any fix been discovered to get past this point? 
I tried @Kieran24746206fca4 recommendation above (though with the latest LR 6 install DMG, not the original 6.0 file). "Please connect to the internet to validate your serial number." Is the block I can't seem to get past. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2023 Jun 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the part that was solved, for me, with a clean install of Adobe Creative Cloud. Don't run it. Do not sign in! But have it installed on the computer. If you've previously signed in, sign out before uninstalling, then reinstall Creative Cloud. It installs a bunch of services and one of them must presumably be the bridge to let LR6 "connect to the internet" to validate that serial number.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. I think this was the main part of the solution for me as well. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@notmanynicksleft  Nice answer to the problem and a nice work-around. And it puts my answers in the trash. I have learnt something new from you.

Enjoy Lightroom 6.14 (while it lasts!)

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2023 Jun 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to your suggestion about doing a clean install of Creative Cloud, I was able to reactivate my existing Lightroom 6 which has ceased to function. Getting rid of the old copy required use of the Adobe CC Cleaner Tool, but it did the trick. When I started installing the new copy of Creative Cloud it required me to log into my Adobe account before it would actually begin the lenghty installation, but after it was done and a reboot, my old Lightroom 6 perpetual fired up. I did need to provide the serial number of the previous version of Lightroom (5) since the Lightroom 6 was an upgrade, but after that it started right up. I don't see any evidence it thinks my software is a trial version, but I guess we'll see!

I wanted to reply to you here in this thread in case my experience might be helpful to others facing a similar issue. Thanks also to Rob Cullen for his reply to my initial post and a suggestion to visit this discussion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe that I finally got my standalone copy of Lightroom 6 installed and activated on a new (to me) Macbook pro 2017.
I took some steps from another user here and got stuck, but I think I found the right procedure from installing from scratch. 

1. I downgraded to a clean install of MacOS Mojave.
2. I used this link https://prodesigntools.com/adobe-cc-2015-updates-links-mac.html#lightroom to download the Lightroom 6 DMG file "Adobe Lightroom 6.14 + CC 2015.14Complete ** 12/19/2017"

3. I used the dowloaded installer, signed in to Adobe, input my serial key, and ran into the "connect to the internet" message. I chose "connect later" and it proceeded with the Lightroom 6 installation.
4. I then installed the latest version of the Creative Cloud from the Adobe website. 

Here's where I got stuck. I kept trying to open the Lightroom app from my MacOS library, but I would run into the same "connect to the internet" message. I found I can't launch the Lightroom 6 app from the MacOS shortcut.

5. Close Lightroom and the PDApp, open the new Creative Cloud App; and Lightroom 6 should appear in the Creative Cloud launcher app library as "Lightroom Classic".
6. Open this "Lightroom Classic" (which is actually the Lightroom 6 that you just installed) and it should present you with a new serial key validation dialog that activates and opens Lightroom 6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is where I believe you made a mistake-

"4. I then installed the latest version of the Creative Cloud from the Adobe website"

Installing the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop App converts your v6.14 to the subscription version CC2015.14.

Both versions of Lr6 (Perpetual and Subscribed) require online 'Activation'.

My knowledge is not sufficient to suggest more as to why you cannot "connect to server".

Maybe this link can answer that- https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/error-cannot-connect-to-server.html

"5. Close Lightroom and the PDApp, open the new Creative Cloud App; and Lightroom 6 should appear in the Creative Cloud launcher app library as "Lightroom Classic"."

No it won't.  It will still appear as Lightroom 6 (and the old v6 icon),  but will now be in a 'subscription required' mode, as a Trial that will end in 30 days if you do not pay the monthly fee.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply and insight! 

I'm not sure if something could have changed in the way that Lightroom 6 serial keys are validated or not, but at least in my experience last night I didn't encounter any indication that my Lightroom 6 installation was converted to a subscription version. Neither were there any dialog boxes saying anything about a 30 day trial or an option to subscribe to Creative Cloud. 😄

I did try for a couple of weeks actually to solve the "Please connect to the internet to validate your serial number option." but the resources on the Adobe help page didn't solve the issue in my specific case. 

Here are some screenshots from my installation last night in case they are helpful to anyone. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a side note,  now that the serial key has been validated, I can now open Lightroom 6 normally from my MacOS app library without the Creative Cloud app. I uninstalled the Creative Cloud app, and Lightroom 6 still launches perfectly fine. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2015 Dec 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have deactivated Lightroom on my old computer, unable to install on the new computer. Says the serialnumber is already used on two computers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 29, 2015 Dec 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

contact adobe support during pst business hours by clicking here and, when available, click 'still need help', https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html and ask for an activation count reset.

[moved from Creative Cloud Download & Install to Downloading, Installing, Setting Up]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2023 Sep 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having a difficult time with installation and activation of Lightroom 6. I successfully registed the serial number to my adobe account but when in request a reponse code I get a message to contact adobe for assistance. Please help! I require this software for an older machine to manage images.   [merged with primary thread]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines