• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: (AI) Masking tools available at any stage of masking edits

Explorer ,
Nov 01, 2022 Nov 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I use the new AI masking tool to select Hair, Lips, and Eyes, I can only elect this option on a new photo with no mask. If I had a mask on a previously worked photo, I could not go back and use the new AI to select lips or hair. I have to delete the old, non-AI mask and then start again. The AI thumbnail pallet is no longer visible, and only adjustment sliders are visible in its place. Is this a bug or a current program limitation?

It would also be helpful to be able to use AI masking where two subjects exist, say, a person feeding a bird or operating an object in front of a background. Once I select a person, I cannot use AI to select the second object exclusively.

This is a valuable time saver and saves system resources. I don't want to arbitrarily have the AI mask everything, individually, in case I 'may' need it later. 

E

LRC 12

Mac OSX Monterey

Macmini 2018, 64gb Ram, 31" Screen.
Alt: Ipad pro 2021 5th Get, 1tb storage/ram iOS Pad 15, Lightroom Mobile V8

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 02, 2022 Nov 02, 2022

No, I didn't see the Lightning icon. I'm working with new photos shot last Friday, but upgraded to LR12 on Sunday-Monday. So perhaps the process version hasn't changed. Having said that, do you have access to the AI masks after making at least one generic mask?

By @Ecphotographer

Yes, I do. I can create a linear gradient first, and then add a sky mask. Or brush a bit and then add the new people masks. Or any other combination.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 01, 2022 Nov 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check if the image is perhaps in an older Process Version. If it is, you will see a small lightning icon on the right below the histogram. Click on it to let Lightroom update the version.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 02, 2022 Nov 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I didn't see the Lightning icon. I'm working with new photos shot last Friday, but upgraded to LR12 on Sunday-Monday. So perhaps the process version hasn't changed. Having said that, do you have access to the AI masks after making at least one generic mask?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 02, 2022 Nov 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By @Ecphotographer

Yes, I do. I can create a linear gradient first, and then add a sky mask. Or brush a bit and then add the new people masks. Or any other combination.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 03, 2022 Nov 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well to be clear , I was referring to the AI sub masks (for lack of better description), like auto selecting only hair or only lips, only eyes, etc.  Indeed you can select a whole person again after a linear gradient but if you want to select & fix only the hair without using a brush , then you have to throw out the existing masks to get back to the new AI sub mask options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did I say anywhere that I only tried selecting the entire person? I said 'people masks' (plural). So again: yes, I can first brush or create a linear gradient, and then select the lips or the skin of the model.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This seems to be an issue of semantics and an oversight on my part. Indeed, I now see the 'Select People' masking tools button, all the way at the bottom and I see that Adobe Lightroom nests facial anatomy AI masks therein.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines