• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Color/Luminance Range Mask are no longer a part of the Brush/Radial/Linear Local Adjustments?

Enthusiast ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

I've used the Color/Luminance Range Mask constantly. But the functonality seems to be gone.

Any comment?  Thanks a lot.

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Previous functionality is covered by the Intersect option.  (Available as a right-click)

Paint with a brush/radial/linear/sky/subject/range - Select mask - Intersect with Color/Luminance Mask

or 
Choose a Color/Luminance Range and Intersect with a Brush/Radial/Linear/Sky/Subject/Depth

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are now more powerful than ever. It’s not that they are gone, the controls got rearranged to allow more flexibility, so it’s probably that they’re no longer where you expect them to be.

Have you reviewed the upgrades to masking in Lightroom Classic 11?

If not, in Lightroom Classic choose:

Help > Masking Overview

Help > Masking Tips

For example, if you want to apply a range mask across the entire image, you can now create it directly and independently, without having to first create a gradient or radial or brush adjustment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Conrad. But that's not what I;m after; I'm after the elegance and the efficacy of the previous system which allowd me to affect a range of tonalities within a tiny space - or a larger space simply by dragging a rectangle encompassing the intended area. It was so quick and efficient and I simply don't know how to do that anymore.

Upsetting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Previous functionality is covered by the Intersect option.  (Available as a right-click)

Paint with a brush/radial/linear/sky/subject/range - Select mask - Intersect with Color/Luminance Mask

or 
Choose a Color/Luminance Range and Intersect with a Brush/Radial/Linear/Sky/Subject/Depth

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Rick.

It doesn't do the same.

Is that Adobe's "elegant" work around? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@raphaels28255986 wrote:

simply by dragging a rectangle encompassing the intended area

Is what you are looking for different than what is shown in the recording below? In the current version, I am still able to drag a sampler rectangle across a range of colors/tones as was possible in earlier versions. I like and use this feature too. Or are you saying you can do it, but you’re getting a different result than in earlier versions?

Lightroom Classic 11 color range drag sample.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Conrad.

Can you slow down the action? It's too fast to follow or even notice the effects.

Hopefuly, I can answer you if I see it move at a realistic speed. Is that doable?

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, I can slow it down. That was just a quick and dirty screen capture; I will re-record it for you slower and with a little more explanation, but I can’t get to it until later this evening.

But basically, whenever the Color Range mask is selected in the list, it’s in sampler mode so you can either click or drag it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m not sure if you are looking for a way to use a range mask with another local adjustment, as in previous versions, or if you want to understand how to use a range mask alone (not possible before), so both are shown below. They show only dragging because you asked about that; of course you can also just click if that works well enough. The videos have no sound.

The examples aren’t perfect, because the orange color range picked up some skin tones. A longer video would have shown the next step of excluding skin colors from that mask by clicking the Subtract button to create a second Color Range targeting the skin. That’s the power of the new system: You can add/subtract/intersect multiple adjustments, of any type (including the new Select Sky and Select Subject), to build a precise mask that was not possible using the old way.

The difference between the two examples is that if you use Color Range alone, it will find the targeted color range everywhere in the frame, while combining it with a Brush (or Gradient or Radial Gradient as in older versions) lets you restrict the mask to a specific area of the image.

If you need more details, review the links I posted in my original reply, and also the video that GoldingD linked to. There are numerous photographers on YouTube and elsewhere on the web showing how to use this.

@raphaels28255986 wrote:

Upsetting.

You have lost nothing, and you have gained a lot of new options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Conrad,

First and foremost, I want to apologize for taking such a long time to respond - I simply did not have a moment to myself until a half hour ago. Which is when I watched your videos. 

I think I am going to have to look at them a few times 🙂

Talk again soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For masking, watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7Fld8eEHsE

Long vid but worth it

After watching this, check out the latest massive updates here: PEOPLE MASKING & MORE! What's new in Lightroom October 2022 https://youtu.be/uLJBqS9g4O0 Welcome to the world-exclusive first LIGHTROOM MASKING TUTORIAL! A massive update to the Adobe Lightroom suite of apps (and Adobe Camera Raw) ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Golding for the video you suggested. I watched it and it was very helpful. 

As you said, it was a long video - not sure why they don't make 3 shorter videos instead of one long one which forces them to talk at 100 miles/hour and ... give us a headache ....

It's the repetition, I think, that begets understanding. When you listen to the same type of info over again from different sources, things start to fall in place.

Thanks a lot. BTW, let's find out if and how Anthony Morganty has a video of his own on the new Masks ... I really like him - he speaks like a normal person.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure I understand. Before, the Color/Luminance Range masks worked only within one of the other tools. You selected an area within a radial filter or graduated filter. Then selected the Color or Luminance range. Correct? I'm unclear what you mean by drawing a square around an area and affecting the area. Drawing a square identifies the range. 

-- Jenn Mishra, photographer & writer for Expert Photography & Photzy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines