• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Computer crashes/Shuts down while using Denoise

Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2023 Apr 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

anybody else having an issue with ACR / Lightroom new AI Denoise - just shuting down your computer [ like someone just unplugged it from the wall - shut down ]?  Everytime I go to apply the NEW AI Denoise in ACR - or lightroom - the computer just turns off. 

2019 27" iMAC 12.6.5  running 64GB Ram

Adobe apps all up to date - 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No such issues on this end.

You can try disabling GPU in preferences, any better? 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my short experience experimenting with both different Mac and Windows machines, the new AI Denoise relies heavily on the GPU (graphics card). Pretty soon camera raw is going to rely almost exclusively on the GPU to edit photos, so if your gpu and or drivers are not up to the task or flawed in some way that could cause a system crash.

gus.png

If in photoshop you go to Photoshop>Preferences>Camera Raw>Performance, what does it show about your graphics processor?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 27, 2023 Apr 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I experienced exactly the same problem as the OP on a 2019 Mac Pro with 192 GB of Ram.

AMD Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB. I played with the settings in Lightroom preferences but nothing seems to help. Fans start to roar and a hard shut down of the Mac Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2023 Apr 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the guidance - I changed the CR GPU from Auto to custom - and increased the CR Cache to 15GB - so far I have tested a few photos - fingers crossed it's working so far. I shall post again if the computer shuts down on using denoise again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2023 Apr 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it happened to my PC. IMac 2012 running windows 10. It can't boot up anymore! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2023 Apr 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There,

I'm using Photoshop and I'm having the exact same issue in ACR. Changing between Auto and Custom hasn't made any difference.

And I had 50GB cache and have increased it to 150GB without the slightest difference.

It certainly is GPU intensive, pushing my AMD WX7100 to 97-100% usage within seconds and keeps it at that level throughout. On average I can process one image without it crashing, but even processing one and then another as a single process, not as a batch and the system rolls over and shuts down. It is always at about 90 -100% processed and even just finished when it goes down.

When AI Denoise does complete the process it takes under 60 seconds to do so, whereas when Adobe processed an identical image which they had requested for testing it took their machine a good 10 minutes. One of their suggestions was that due to the speed at which my system was processing the image the GPU couldn't cope. Yet this was despite my system CPU registering only 0% usage and 3% memory usage. One thing I have noticed is that the more intense the cleaning required, the more likely it is too crash, though I have had a few crashes when it has been mild. It has also been suggested by Adobe that it is hardware at the OS level, but considering how little the system is actually even being used, let alone pushed at that level it seems very unlikely.

My system consists of: AMD Ryzan 9 7950x, ASUS motherboard ROG Crosshair Extreme x670e, 64GB Corsair DDR5 5600 Ram and as mentioned above AMD WX7100 GPU with 8GB DDR5 ram.

If GPU's are going to require more Ram to run ACR, assuming that it is a case on my part of running out of Ram, then it's going to become extremely costly to purchase a GPU with sufficent Ram. And as I run 4 monitors, I'm looking somewhere in the region of $2,500.00 USD which would be for the soon to be released AMD Radeon Pro W7000 Series W7800 which has 32GB DDR6 ECC Memory the W7900 their flagship is even more expensive and has 48GB DDR6. I guess that's the price of progress.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2023 Apr 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What’s your power supply wattage?

I tried running AI denoise twice and it broke my power supply TWICE!

Running AI requires a lot of power. At least more than 980 watts which is my current system. AI denoise is using more energy than what my machine can supply.

This is proven because like I said, I ran AI twice and had to replace the PSU twice! Not running AI on my machine ever!

Get Outlook for iOS<>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2023 Apr 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, if it's down to the power of the PSU then it's doing a great job as mine is 1100W but it hasn't been killed. Then again any constant crashes can't be good for any system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So 1100W is barely enough to run your task coz it shuts down. Mine simply shorts (killed) by AI. I know it sounds terminator judgement day; I posted on fb and they laughed!

You need to upgrade your power or stop using AI. I wish Adobe would check the machine’s power rating before running. I wish they reimburse me the cost of two power supplies lol!

Get Outlook for iOS<>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does seem starnge though that it would take out the PSU. It's the first time that I've heard of a single process taking out a PSU as they are meant to be able to handle a whole lot more than that. Like ones whole system's demands. I would have gone for a higher wattage but was informed that 1100W was more than enough for the system and I do a whole lot more intensive work than the AI Denoise does in relation to the whole system.

I can see the AI Denoise possible starving a GPU of Ram and overdriving it, but not take out the PSU. I can hammer the CPU at over 100% for hours and not crash and push my onboard memory at the sametime. But AI Denoise attacks the GPU, at least in my case and I figure that's what's taking the system down, no graphics and crash.

Only Adobe, must know what the cause is. This is the first time that this system has gone down and the AI Denoise has taken it out around 20 plus times. I've stopped using it now as it also takes out Bridge while it's at it and I have to reset my settings to get back in and that knocks Bridge out for the day as it then gets locked out while it recreates all the thumbnails.

I certainly hope that it's not the PSU as mine is fairly new as my whole system is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That level of power consumption sounds like a bug somewhere in the system, since no application should be able to directly kill a PSU. Normally, if any application asks for resources at a level that would damage hardware, the OS and then hardware limiters should be able to stop that from happening, so it’s very odd. I am not an engineer so I am not sure if a typical application like this could override all OS and hardware limits, even through an application bug.

AI Denoise on its own does not need 980 watts of power; very few computer users have a PSU of that capacity. I just measured AI Denoise set to 45 on my laptop, for a 24 megapixel Sony ARW raw file at ISO 12800.

Time to complete: 37 seconds

Power consumption: Around 30 watts, with brief peaks at 35 watts

In the graph below, just that last high segment is during AI Denoise. At this time, the laptop is on AC also driving a desktop dock with two displays, storage, and peripherals attached.

Lightroom-Classic-watts-during-AI-Denoise-ISO-12800.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this information. I'm not sure how to measure the power consumption when using AI denoise but when I tried to run it, it calculated 55 seconds to denoise a 53MB raw file. Of course I didn't see the result coz it killed my PSU.

I don't want to try to debug this on this system. I already changed the PSU twice. On a side note, since I'm using Canon EOS R, noise is seldom an issue when taking photos. I dont need AI denoise. I WILL NOT run AI - denoise on this system again.

Just beware that lower power systems can't source the power requirement for AI. My system is 980 watts only. Other systems like 1100 watts is shutting down the PC but not destroying the PSU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Task Manager doesn’t show power consumption in watts, Intel Power Gadget (free) should. The utility I showed is based on the design of Intel Power Gadget. (I can’t actually run Intel Power Gadget because my processor is not x86.)

Just beware that lower power systems can't source the power requirement for AI. My system is 980 watts only. Other systems like 1100 watts is shutting down the PC but not destroying the PSU.
By @mannymadethis_com

Again…this seems like a bug that may be configuration specific, because a wide range of lower power systems are clearly able to use AI Denoise fast with zero problems. My picture shows AI Denoise achieving a 37 second result at under 35 watts. My laptop comes with a 65 watt power supply, but hardly ever has to max that out unless it is under full load while also having to charge the battery. I know many PC processors typically require more watts for the same load, but there are many PCs out there with modest power supplies (well under 500 watts, such as PC laptops) using AI Denoise successfully.

There may be a problem related to some hardware or software component in the chain inaccurately requesting too high of a power level, but the problem is not that AI Denoise actually needs that much power.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At least for me the solution didn't work. I was able to process two single images, not as a batch and then when I tried the third, crash. Back to square one. I don't know if these Photoshop Logs are of any use, but I have found loads of errors which make no sense as they refer to items that I don't even have on my system.

The also give out warnings and talk of termination at the end of the log. The last one, but one, is to my knowledge the Log relating to the last crash as far as I can tell timewise. The last one would be the Log after I had rebooted. The system has no trouble going straight back up, the only issue being Bridge which gets knocked out if it happens to have been used to load into ACR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UXP is just a new (more modern is probably more accuarte description) of creating plugins for Photoshop, Bridge and other UXP powered applications. They have nothing to with Lightroom Classic.

The last one would be the Log after I had rebooted. The system has no trouble going straight back up, the only issue being Bridge which gets knocked out if it happens to have been used to load into ACR

Why are you posting Bridge/ACR issues to the Lightroom Classic forum?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine also blew a powesupply running denoise.   I was trying to denoise a couple of pictures and bang it completely shut down instantly and nothing . Had to replace a power supply.   New power supply a little stronger also shuts down during a single denoise process, but at least it didn't kill it.  ADOBE needs to remove denoise immediately until it's fixed and doesn't destroy computers.  It's unacceptable, there are no warnings or cautions it just blows your supply... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You haven't mentioned the computer model/type, GPU model or duration (estimate or actual) time for Denoise. This information would likely help Adobe engineers better understand what's happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For info I  am running a Desktop system which includes

• AMD Ryzen 5 5600X on an ASUS Prime A320M-K motherboard 
  • 16 Gig Ram 
  • Radeon RX 570 GPU with 8 Gig DDR5
  • Windows 11 pro build 22621 
  • Main drive is a 1tb M.2 SSD G325E1TB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem on a Windows 10 computer, every time I tried to do denoise, which normally said it will take around 5 minutes, the computer shut down with the fans doing lots of noise. I thougt it could be a heating problem on the cpu, so I cleaned everything and changed the thermal paste with no success. Checking with HWMonitor it doesn't show high temperature. I had exactly the same issue when Adobe introduced super resolution but only for a while, now it works smoothly. I am not sure if was a driver or a Lightroom upgrade that made the difference. I am attaching system info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I experienced EXACTLY the same problem the first time I tried to use Denoise AI. The Mac Pro fans started to roar about 1/3 of the way through processing the DNG and the Mac did a hard shut down. This has not happened to me in 30 years. Only other programs open were Photoshop, Apple Music, Mac Mail. I tried various combinations in Preferences > Performance > Use Graphics Processor, including Auto, Custom and Turning Off the graphics processor but every time the fans began to roar and I stopped Denoise, not wanting to risk multiple hard shut downs.

OSX 12.6.5

2019 Mac Pro with 192 GB 2666 MHz DDR4

AMD Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB

3.5 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2024 Mar 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you found any solution since April 2023 ?
I have the same graphic card and it's crashing excatly as yours !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 19, 2024 Mar 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the person you addressed your question to found a solution. It can be found on page 2 of this threrad. That is, vacuum the inside of the computer with particular emphasis on the fans. Doing so reduces the heat build up due to the high load that Denoise places on the GPU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 26, 2023 Apr 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first time I tried to use Denoise AI the Mac Pro fans started to roar about 1/3 of the way through processing the DNG and the Mac did a hard shut down. This has not happened to me in 30 years. Only other programs open were Photoshop, Apple Music, Mac Mail. I tried various combinations in Preferences > Performance > Use Graphics Processor, including Auto, Custom and Turning Off the graphics processor but every time the fans began to roar and I stopped Denoise, not wanting to risk multiple hard shut downs.

OSX 12.6.5

2019 Mac Pro with 192 GB 2666 MHz DDR4

AMD Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB

3.5 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines