• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Edit in photoshop color of file saved/returned to Lightroom from Photoshop changes

Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2022 May 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello team!

I have a problem with my Lightroom/Photoshop. (both were up to date).

Tried to also downgrade for one version, but no effect.

Actual problem:

I open my photo in Lightroom and decide to edit in in photoshop, after editing (or even if no editing) is done in photoshop I save. Photos looks same in lightroom (original one) and in Photoshop (edited / non edited), however new image that is now shown in Lightroom has completely different color tone.

Example is attached for better understanding.

Any idea what might caused this problem?

Thanks in advance.

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 02, 2022 May 02, 2022

Try resetting your Photoshop preferences. Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) immediately after launching Photoshop. You will be prompted to delete the current settings. 

Some users have reported resetting Photoshop's preferences fixes an issue of profiles being removed before being saved and then accessed in Lightroom Classic.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Apr 18, 2022 Apr 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks . . . attached

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see anything wrong here. Photoshop is set to preserve embedded profiles, so the image is not converted to another profile while it is sent back and forth. I can't reproduce this problem, but as I use a Mac that doesn't mean it can't be a Windows-only bug. I would expect to see a lot more complaints if it really was a bug however. Try resetting the Lightroom preferences to see if that helps: https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've reset the preferences and repeated the test using a different file. Unfortunately I still have the same issue (see attached. No edits were made at all in either LR or PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded the two images you shared above and imported into LrC and did a comparison in Library at 100% and do not see any difference.

Screenshot 2022-04-18 at 1.04.36 PM.png

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I screwed up when renaming the files . . . . . try the two attached here . . . . 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, I've just noticed when researching what the issue might be, I don't appear to have a previews.lrdata file anywhere. I thought it was kept in the same folder as the lrcat ? Is this an issue too?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@rogerh70615777 wrote:

Also, I've just noticed when researching what the issue might be, I don't appear to have a previews.lrdata file anywhere. I thought it was kept in the same folder as the lrcat ? Is this an issue too?

That is not possible. If you would not have any previews, then Lightroom would not show any images. You are probably looking in the wrong folder.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The previews are all in a data file in the same sub-folder where your Catalog is located. See the screen capture I have marked the Catalog and Previews files.

Screenshot 2022-04-18 at 1.35.01 PM.png

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I've found them now thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry Johan, I think I screwed up renaming the files attached. These are the two files that should have been attached and it should clearly show that the tiff file created by PS is darker than the original Cr2 file even though nothing has been edited.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a ProPhoto image displayed as sRGB - IOW, the ProPhoto profile has been stripped at some point, and so the file displays as sRGB. That's your problem.

You need to revert your Photoshop color settings to defaults. You have apparently made some change that discards the profile.

You might also want to reconsider the Lightroom default of sending images to Photoshop as ProPhoto. That policy requires strict color management procedure to be followed at all times.

Here's first your "good" image > converted to ProPhoto > assign sRGB. Then the muted one as you posted it. They are absolutely identical:

2.jpg

1b.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@D Fosse, the attached screen capture is from the Authors images poster earlier of his PS Color settings.

Should his working space in PS be set to Pro Photo RGB and not to sRGB?

Screenshot 2022-04-18 at 2.50.11 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I hadn't noticed that. As long as it's set to Preserve Embedded Profiles, the working space doesn't matter (as long as there is a profile there at all).

But the evidence from the posted images is unambiguous. That is a ProPhoto image displayed as sRGB. That's exactly how that looks, as you can see from the two images I posted above. It explains everything perfectly.

And Lightroom does send to Photoshop as ProPhoto by default. But how did the profile get stripped?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That suggests that something odd happens in this process. The two settings screenshots are clear, that's why I asked for them. Lightroom does send the photo to Photoshop as ProPhotoRGB and Photoshop does not convert them. The OP claims that he did not do anything else in Photoshop as a test, he just saved the image to get it to return to Lightroom. That means that the image must have returned to Lightroom as a tagged ProPhotoRGB image. Photoshop does not normally strip color profiles and neither does Lightroom... Maybe the next thing to try is to reset the Photoshop preferences.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 19, 2022 Apr 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I've no idea how it's happened (because I've never messed with any Preferences Settings over the last few years) but I reset the Photoshop Preferences as you suggested and eveything is now working fine! I can only think that something didn't go quite right with the updates install a few days ago because the issue had not appeared until after I did these. Either way, the main thing is that all is now ok and I'd like to thank you, @D Fosse @DdeGannes for helping me out on this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 19, 2022 Apr 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you have it working now, thanks for reporting back. This goes to show that a corrupt preferences file can cause the weirdest things, including stripping the embedded color profile.

Preferences are prone to corruption because they are rewritten on every application exit, in contrast to program files that are read-only. Errors will accumulate.

Personally, I don't migrate preferences with a new version. The migration process may in itself cause problems, if settings don't mean exactly the same thing in the new version. So I take that as an opportunity to start with clean sheets, and the few extra minutes required to set it all up seem worthwhile to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 17, 2022 Apr 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@rogerh70615777 wrote:

The image in LR is a RAW file (.cr2). If, for example I click the Auto button, it makes various automatic adjustments to things like shadows, highlights, cropping etc. If I then 'Edit in' PS, the image shows that these adjustments have been made. If I then make a few edits in PS and then click Save, the file is saved back into LR as a .tiff file. However, none of the adjustments originally made in LR (with the exception of the crop) have been kept. Yes, I get that the slider adjustments will not be shown..

That is simply impossible. If the edits show in Photoshop, then they have been applied to the pixels of the TIFF. There is no way they can get lost again on return to Lightroom Classic. Try an obvious edit, so you can be 100% sure. Make the image black & white in Lightroom. Send it to Photoshop, make an edit in Photoshop and save the image so it returns to Lightroom Classic. Are you saying it's now a color image again?...

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Buenas tardes, alguien sabe porque de pronto, antes no me ocurría,  si edito desde el lihtgroom una imagen en Photoshop, y sin modificarla la vuelvo a guardar y al visualizarla en el lightroom hace una gestión distinta de la apariencia de color con respecto a la original?

Gracias.

Alucinando que no haya manera de contactar con Adobe para plantearles cualquier problema.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me sucede lo mismo desde que hice el último upgrade de Photoshop. Comienzo a resolver este asunto y de hacerlo me vuelvo a comunicar por esta vía.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pues muchas gracias por responder, si no es cosa mia solo, más que me indigna que no haya manera de contactar con ellos y den alguna respuesta. Hasta hace no mucho creo que se podia enviar un mensaje con cierta facilidad.

Igualmente si encuentro alguna solución te lo haré saber por aqui también, muchisimas gracias por tu ayuda

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

El asunto ha sido resuelto. Si entras a la ventana de Creative Cloud verás
un ícono de chat. Ahí puedes iniciar una comunicación con un operador de
Adobe. En mi caso, entraron a mi ordenador a distancia y luego de mucho dar
consiguieron resolverlo. Se tomaron más de una hora pero lo lograron.
Suerte--

ARIEL TOLEDANO
PHOTOGRAPHY

P O R T F O L I O <>
<>arieltoledano.com
@papayiii

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

El asunto ha sido resuelto. Si entras a la ventana de Creative Cloud verás
un ícono de chat. Ahí puedes iniciar una comunicación con un operador de
Adobe. En mi caso, entraron a mi ordenador a distancia y luego de mucho dar
consiguieron resolverlo. Se tomaron más de una hora pero lo lograron.
Suerte--

ARIEL TOLEDANO
PHOTOGRAPHY

P O R T F O L I O <>
<>arieltoledano.com
@papayiii

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2022 May 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gracias, ya me habían contestado por aqui y había resuelto también. Y gracias también por la info respecto al chat,.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reset Photoshop preferences (not Lightroom preferences). It's a frequently reported bug, and resetting PS preferences has fixed it in all cases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines