• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Edit in photoshop color of file saved/returned to Lightroom from Photoshop changes

Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2022 May 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello team!

I have a problem with my Lightroom/Photoshop. (both were up to date).

Tried to also downgrade for one version, but no effect.

Actual problem:

I open my photo in Lightroom and decide to edit in in photoshop, after editing (or even if no editing) is done in photoshop I save. Photos looks same in lightroom (original one) and in Photoshop (edited / non edited), however new image that is now shown in Lightroom has completely different color tone.

Example is attached for better understanding.

Any idea what might caused this problem?

Thanks in advance.

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 02, 2022 May 02, 2022

Try resetting your Photoshop preferences. Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) immediately after launching Photoshop. You will be prompted to delete the current settings. 

Some users have reported resetting Photoshop's preferences fixes an issue of profiles being removed before being saved and then accessed in Lightroom Classic.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solved, thanks a lot!!! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some users have reported this issue, the 'fix' is to reset your preferences in Photoshop. For some reason, the embedded profile isn't being honored so you could use the Assign Profile command to fix those images but the overall fix is a preference reset. 

Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) immediately after launching Photoshop. You will be prompted to delete the current settings. You can also reset preferences upon a quit if Photoshop is running by going into General Preferences>General>Reset on Quit.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much, solved!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 14, 2022 Jul 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Within LR I hit CTRL-E to edit the image in PS. Everything works as expected, image is 16bit ProPhoto.

Once I've completed my edits I hit CTRL-S to save the image back to LR as a 16bit TIFF but for some reason PS doesn't embed the colour profile so all the colours change in LR.

I've checked and doubled checked all the settings and everything is as it should be. The image in PS is 16bit ProPhoto but if I close it and open the saved version the profile is missing. Assigning ProPhoto and doing a SaveAs does at least fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 14, 2022 Jul 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ShootingPixelsAndy_1-1657791931761.png

I get this warning box when I try to re-open the image in PS after saving it back to LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2022 Jul 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Appears to have worked, although you need to rebuild your prefs which is small in the big picture. Thanks for suggestion! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2022 Sep 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ! Seems like I've found the issue. At least it worked for me.

in Photoshop: Make sure the Edit> Color Settings are ProPhoto and that the Image>Mode is 8bits
in lightroom: Preferences>External Editing make sure the file format is TIFF and that the Color Space is ProPhoto

It worked for me !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That doesn#t fix the problem! It just hides it from immediate view. Your file in Photoshop is still untagged ProPhoto, and you should never have untagged files, ever. It will appear correct if the working space is also ProPhoto, but if you ever use any other color space it will be very wrong.

The fix is to reset Photoshop Preferences, and then reassign the correct profile to the affected files. That is the only way to correct the underlying problem.

There is no need for Photoshop working RGB to match the setting in Lightroom. Any profile out of Lightroom will override the working space in Photoshop, and will always be treated correctly. Unless there's a bug like here, but this one is easily corrected, permanently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Encoding ProPhoto RGB in 8-bits per color; not a good idea. Not recommended by Adobe either.

ProPhotoRecommedationLR

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 25, 2022 Dec 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to reset the preferences in Photoshop. The color tone change back to Lightroom was causing me great concern. Once I reset the preferences in Photoshop on my Mac (Option+Command+Shift). In my case I had to completely close Photoshop, hold down (Option+Command+Shift) first. Then I opened Photoshop and I got the option to reset the preferences. Now it works just fine. It was driving me nuts!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines